Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, April 03, 2006

Perfume Review: The Different Company Jasmine de Nuit

I am very excited about The Different Company’s new fragrance, Sel de Vetiver. For some reason I am convinced that it is going to be wonderful. Meanwhile, while waiting to sample it, I am enjoying Jasmine de Nuit, my so far most favorite scent by The Different Company. Jasmine de Nuit was created by Céline Ellena and features the notes of jasmine, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, sandalwood and amber. To me, the name of the scent is somewhat of a misnomer, because after the initial wonderfully indolic jasmine blast, the title note becomes very subdued, if not entirely absent, on my skin. This is not a complaint, however, because I love cardamom and cinnamon much more than I love jasmine, and the spices, especially cardamom, are prominent enough here to make me very happy indeed.

As I mentioned above, the beginning of the scent is intense and indolic. Paired with the sweetly spicy cardamom, that “dirty” jasmine note is absolutely stunning. I adore the start of the Jasmine de Nuit so much, I would have loved for the scent to stay the same, rich, dark and sensual, way, and forego the middle and the base notes. Not that I mind the way the fragrance does develop. When the top notes subside, Jasmine de Nuit becomes a supremely elegant, softly floral scent. Despite the fact that the list of notes only includes one flower, jasmine, my nose smells (or imagines that it smells) more. For example there is a certain delicately powdery quality to the middle stage of Jasmine de Nuit that reminds me of heliotrope. The sweetness of the floral accord makes me think of roses. In a little while the spices return and the flowers fade. The drydown of Jasmine de Nuit is delightful, the spices are warm, the amber is richly dark, and the sandalwood is sweet and velvety. All in all, I find Jasmine de Nuit to be extremely enjoyable and it is undoubtedly full bottle worthy for me.

Jasmine de Nuit can be found on TheDifferentCompany.com, €39.00-350.00, depending on the size and the fanciness of the bottle. 90ml Eau de Toilette Spray is right now also available at Lusciouscargo, for $120.00.

*The image is from TheDifferentCompany.com

18 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

This one sounds nice - I have come to really love jasmin having never been so sure of it; and the spices would be a nice compliment - although I can't imagine the cinnamon - is it prominent or a hint? Although like you I will be interested to hear about the vetiver - that being my favourite oil in the whole wide world!

Heather

3:51 AM EDT  
Blogger Sexy Sadie said...

cinnamon and cardemomme, wow!

4:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Heather,
I don't get that much cinnamon, it is mostly cardamom to me (my favorite).

Have you tried Hermes's new scent, Terre d'Hermes? I think, since you like vetiver, you might like it quite a bit.

8:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Sadie,
Yes, it's very nice. Sweet spices, delicious :-)

8:34 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
This is another favorite we have in common then! So you don't like TDC Rose Poivree, huh? :-)

8:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Christina,
I love pepper and I still didn't like Rose Poivree...there is just something about it...:-)

8:59 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

It smells more multifloral to me too. I have thus far not fallen in love with any of TDC, but give me time..

9:03 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
Well, maybe the new scent of theirs will be the one for you...how do you feel about salty vetiver? :-)

9:19 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

I love this too! It is strangely remeniscent of Musc Ravageur on me (which is a good, good thing--but not what you'd expect from the name). Very sexy!

9:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
I also find it quite Ravageur-like, especially in the beginning. It is a good, good thing for me too. :-)

9:34 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Yech! You are cracking me up. Throw some cumin in there and watch me skedaddle.

11:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Salty vetitver with a dash of cumin...yum yum yum :-D

11:41 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Patty,
The Different Company sells sample packs on their site, and they include the new Sel de Vetiver. I'm just sayin'. :-)

1:28 PM EDT  
Blogger katiedid said...

*russle russle* - that is the sound of me furiously digging around to look for where I "filed" my sample of this away. Wow, I have to find it, this review has kicked my butt in gear to really give it more than just the fleeting sniff I gave it earlier... Thanks, M.

6:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Katie,
I "file" my samples away all the time. Some were so well-filed, they still haven't been found :-)

6:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

*content smile* I feel less guilty now for caving on it myself. Hee hee.

6:54 PM EDT  
Blogger Victoria said...

I love this one too. Strangely I get no indolic effect. Or else it might not be so loved.
:O)

8:21 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Victoria,
That indolic-ness is my favorite part :-)

10:13 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home