Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Perfume Review: Diptyque L'Eau de L'Eau

I will start by noting for the record that I came up with the name "L'Eau de L'Eau" in November 2006, when Diptyque's trio may or may not have already been a twinkle in their creators' eyes. I imagined the scent with this name would smell sort of like L'Eau d'Hiver only more aquatic...essentially I thought that "L'Eau de L'Eau" would smell of nothing.

Trying Diptyque's creation with that preconceived concept in mind, I was therefore surprised by the substantionality, depth and darkness of their L'Eau de L'Eau. The fragrance is supposed to be a fresher L’Eau, Diptyque's first fragrance, which, to my shame, I don't remember at all and which I now know I should re-visit. The first accord of L'Eau de L'Eau is as I imagined it would be, very fresh and pale, a completely unsweetened, dry citrus blend. However, very soon something interesting begins to come through that minimalistically fresh mist - some spice, some patchouli and even, I swear, some incense. The fragrance "darkens" considerably as it wears and becomes much more robust than the name would lead one to believe. The spicy mix of geranium, cloves and ginger is broodingly delicious. And the balsamic-incensey base makes L'Eau de L'Eau the kind of darkly-melancholic scent I like to wear for comfort on my "wallowing" days. It is an atmospheric fragrance, unexpectedly deep and complex, the most interesting of the three oversized eaux (or rather it is the closests to my personal taste) and definitely worth a try.

Available at Barneys, $150.00 for 200ml.

Labels:

21 Comments:

Blogger marchlion said...

Boy that sounds good! I love the way you describe it darkening. Some of the Diptyque scents are insane, but they seldom bore me.

10:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

March,
This one might not reach the level of insanity of Virgilio or Eau Lente, but it is slightly ga-ga as well :-)

6:35 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I love the original and this sounds shockingly good for a lighter version. My only problem is w/ the size. Despite my affection for the original, I've not actually worn it more than a few times (*must* remedy that and go retrieve it from my scent closet). I can't imagine why I would ever need 200 ml of any scent. Yes, I know it's meant to be splashed, but...still! 200 ml is just too much (unless it's Diorling parfum).

7:22 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Hmmmm. . .the name sounds so un-me, but you are very persuasive here. Since there is a Diptyque store near me, I will definitely try this. Lovely photo, BTW.

7:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alright. I've had samples of the 3 new Diptyques laying around for weeks now. I'll give them a try. You pushed me. Wish they came in smaller bottles. I certainly don't need a vat of these. I dont need a vat of anything. (though that hasn't stopped me from acquiring many vats in recent years)

This'll teach you to start copyrighting!! The residuals you could've gotten on L'eau de L'eau!

-MD

11:24 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok - yes, this is really nice. I like it. It smells exactly like C.Howards violet gum (which does not smell or taste like violets)

11:43 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts on sniffing this trio was that they were all kind of citrusy-herby similar & something smelled household product fresh-ish. Having read your review I think I'll retry. And also confess that I sniffed all 3 after 2 days of Sniffapalooza'ing & maybe there was a reason why everything smelled the same at that point ;)

11:44 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

Oh that sounds nice! Will dig out my samples after I've washed off the 20 things I'm wearing now.

1:56 PM EDT  
Blogger Denise said...

Wow, that actually sounds...interesting! It's not something I would have tried if I had just walked past it in the store, I mean, just based on the name. I know: don't judge a fragrance by its bottle! :)

3:21 PM EDT  
Blogger the oblitterati said...

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love your original concept of l'eau de l'eau. The last time I was in Williamsburg I remember some of my favorite Christopher Brosius' scents resembling this subtle aquatic non-scent you describe. I think I would prefer your conceptual scent to Diptyque's version which is a little bit brooding hippie chalet for my taste. To me all the Diptyque scents smell like Janis Joplin, very smart but also melancholic and a little dirty.

And thanks for visiting my blog! It was a thrill this morning to see words of encouragement from the master.

4:57 PM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

L,
I am trying to think what I'd want 200ml of...OK, Apres L'Ondee, because it is just so, so fleeting!

10:09 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, it sounds so much better than what I imagined at first.

Also, I love your new icon! Beautiful! :)

Vika

10:09 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

J,
Thank you!
You should try this one, the citruses are not over the top here.

10:10 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

MD,
I know! Darn it. I could have retired :-)

10:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

MarkDavid,
OK, where can I find C.Howards violet gum? :-)

10:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

M,
I know how nose becomes overwhelmed during a long sniffing session, so do retry!

10:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

R,
Waiting for your verdict.

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Denise,
I expected to like this one absolutely the least of the 3. Ha.

10:14 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

the oblitterati,
Oh that was Donna, but I will visit too all the time now that I know about your blog.

10:15 AM EDT  
Blogger Marina said...

Vika,
Oh thank you! :-)
I actually thought the one of other two (the one that is not Neroli) was nice too, like lemon juice squeezed over freshly cut grass. Just not my thing at all.

10:16 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my heart was absolutely shattered on this precise day. how serendipitous that i should find this review on the same day. sounds like the perfect scent for wallowing indeed.

3:37 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home