Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Thwarted!

By Tom

The post office strikes again...

I would like to be writing about the new Annick Goutal musk scent for this week. I would like to be writing that it's just wonderful and a full bottle is a must. Or that it ain't all that and a bag of Doritos (well, I wouldn't like writing that but were it the case, Tonstant Weader, I would do so) and you can safely strike it from your list of things that you need that nice Ms. Tio to ship to you. I would like to do this but I can't, since the large decant I got from the Perfumed Court has been sitting somewhere in the bowels of the Beverly Hills Post Office, a mere two blocks away on Maple Drive since the 16th of May. I might add that numerous calls to the 800 number (since the BH branch clearly considers itself like clubs like Hyde or whatever restaurant Ashton is invested in this week and does not answer anything as plebeian as a phone call- grrrrr) have made no dent in the resolve of the local office to keep me from my AG. So in order to keep my blood pressure somewhat below my vaunted if ill-served zip code, it was a visit to the back of the cupboard to see what hasn't been played with lately.

The result was a perfect scent for the long Memorial Day weekend, which had arrived with cold weather and showers; something that in Los Angeles would be like Paris Hilton opening a big summer movie version of "Steel Magnolias" In the Shirley MacLaine part. And stealing the movie.

After all that, if you're still conscious, you might be wondering what I grabbed? Perfumerie Generale Aomassai. One that I haven't been wearing lately and I don't know why. The caramel-comfort of it all is wonderful in the damp chill, with just enough wood and citrus to make it more-than-foody. If Colombina had done nothing for me than introduce me to this, I would still owe her a debt of gratitude

I also ran across some samples I cadged from ScentBar by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan, one of their new lines.

Tobacco Mucho lists citrus, guiac and leather, but after it's initial lemony opening I get an Eau de Fier-like smokiness with tar and a clubby leather; it's not over-the-top mind you, and fairly unisex. For those of you who mourn the Annick Goutal, you might want to send away for a sample of this. Well, actually if you are a leather and smoke completist, this may be for you as well, it's light enough to wear anywhere.

Un The au Sahara is written of as green tea and mint. I do get mint, but not a bit of tea. I do get some of that wonderfully woody, boozy amber that I find in Ambre Russe, but not in the intensity of the Parfum d'Empire fragrance. Which frankly for most people might be a good thing: I love AR, but I'd be afraid to wear it through a sobriety checkpoint. The spicy, dry patch that grounds the scent is quite lovely as well.

Le Pot au Roses was the only real "meh" of the three I sampled. They say roses and rice powder, I got sweet face powder and violets. Tennis anyone?

These three as well as the rest of the line (all 11 0f them) are available at Luckyscent, $135 for 50 ml.

Is it possible for postal customers to go postal?

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tom, how annoying. I hate the idea of the package, brightly musking up people's mail, while they can smell it and you can't. I hope it arrives before you read this.

Of the Stephanie St. A's, try Li Altarelli. It's a nice combination of sun, herbs, woods, and enough galbanum to foster naughty thoughts. I succumbed to a full bottle at the hefty price and don't regret it.

1:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Gail S said...

Ha! I'm wearing Un The au Sahara tonight and was just thinking that I smelled some cumin-y amber down there somewhere! I must be picking it up subliminally from you because I've never noticed it before :) Mostly I get tea with a smidge of mint and powder,...until tonight.

Good luck on claiming your missing perfume!

4:14 AM EDT  
Blogger lilybp said...

Arrrrgh! I feel your pain! Really, I do--I so want to hear about the Musc Nomade!

On the Stephs--I though tobacco was kinda "meh" and liked roses, so there you are (where?). I haven't tried The. I like Berberiades (enough to buy it in France) and am curious about how the new Extreme compares. Anyone?

7:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Okay, that would drive me nuts. I think that it's a universal thing with post offices, they don't work on our time, they work on postal standard which in Cleveland is five times longer than anywhere else. I once sent 600 invitations to a Cleveland Orchestra Benefit out first class mail and found out that two weeks later they were sitting there in the back of the mail room because they just assumed that I was using a bulk rate and they didn't care. Argggghhh. That said, I am sure that the Annick Goutal will be worth the wait! I can't wait to read your review! I still adore musk like the once randy 17 year old that I was! (well maybe still am:)) I think that it's clearly a 70's thing.....

7:39 AM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

Dude, what are they *doing* with your musk? I mean, do they need you to sign for it or something? Are they wearing it? Did the drug-sniffing dogs bark?

So you've been having the cold weather too, eh? Makes me feel better. Giggling about the face powder, no thanks!

9:08 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

quinncreative-

I will have to try that one, thanks!

11:05 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

gail-

I really like that one; the best one so far (the smoky one was a close second)

Not sure that I need them, though..

11:07 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

lilybp-

I'll have to try that one as well..

11:08 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

beth-

I am so annoyed by this I could spit! We have the worst postal service; they are always giving me my neighbors bills! I can see maybe missing the number on the envelope, but the street name? I guess they figure, Maple, Elm, Palm whatever it's all trees, right?

11:11 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

march-

I honestly think one of them stepped on it or stole it. Bastages!

We did have cold and rainy (including a tornado and several thunderstorms) but it's over now. Me, I like the gloom.

Gloomy Pansy..

11:13 AM EDT  
Blogger NowSmellThis said...

I'm annoyed too, I'd like to see some reviews of the Musc. So far I am mostly meh on the SdSA line, but Aomassai is perfect for cold & gloomy.

3:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

It's a nice enough line, but not me.

I am not happy with the post office. The DMV is more helpful. Grrrr.

6:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

ROTFL - the picture says it all about the post office! :-D

I am ready to inhale a line of Tobacco Mucho after that description, too!

11:34 PM EDT  
Blogger chayaruchama said...

Well, lovely one- it would probably COST less, just for us to hang out and sniff each other, than purchase all these bottles, LOL.

So- let's...

MWAH.

7:10 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home