Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lostmarc'h Laan-Ael, Aod, Atao and Iroaz

By Tom

For this week, cats and kiddies, I am afraid that we're going to have what amounts to reviewlets from me, since A) it's hot, B) it's month end bill-paying at home and at work and C) I'm lazy.

I was happy to get notice that Laan Ael had arrived at LuckyScent with three siblings, since I had gone through about three decants from the Perfumed Court. I was also thrilled to see the price: $75 for 100 mls. I suggest stocking up before they realise their mistake.

Laan-Ael, as you all know is written of as buckwheat, milk and honey. I get Froot Loops and milk. Normally after having typed that sentence, you would think that I would write that I scrubbed my arm with a dremel tool and iced borax, but no: it's literally the most comforting thing you could possible smell and I am in hopeless thrall to it. It does become more than just the special effect of breakfast in footie pajamas; there's something pixelated to it that isn't quite musk, but less homogenized than the milky cereal opening would lead you to believe. But
never, ever sly or winking. I can imagine that after (or during) a difficult day that a spritz of two of this would be better that an rum and atavan smoothie.

Aod apparently means "Seashore" and I can't say that it smells exactly like any seashore that I've been near. No bad thing: there's a whisper of grapefruit, a scintilla of gardenia, a bare hint of that clean sheet/sea spray accord that we've all smelled about a bazillion times. There's also the rounded smell of coconut. I wore this today while at my friends house in Pasadena while wiping her work MacBook Pro in preparation for it's return, doing laundry and feeding her cats while she's in Texas: in the wilting heat this was joyously refreshing. Just enough of each ingredient to be refreshing without being overwhelming and for once the "sea" part of it isn't amped up to 11. Did I mention that it's $75? PS: if the seashore really smells like this in Brittany, I'm moving...

Atao starts with rosemary, and lots of it. Those of you who have made something with rosemary know that it's only fault in cooking is that too much of it makes a soapy taste. The first sniff of this frankly goes there, and just when it does, the bergamot and lemon jump in to wrestle the whole thing to the ground. LuckyScent lists orange and mandarin in there, but I don't get those two distinctly, I do get a nice spicy wood. I can see this being a lovely, no-fault, no-brainer that you grab when you don't want to think about it, don't want to smell challenging or weird or perhaps have to meet with a prospective boss. Or are applying for a loan. Or are being sentenced. It reads "dependable, well-travelled, well-bred, (and on a guy) and smart enough to know that I should smell good but not in a way that's in your face". On a girl it would make that Jennifer O'Neill in jeans and a boys button-down statement- and yes, that is sexy as all get-out.

Iroaz was quite frankly the only miss for me: I understand the idea of roses at the seashore and the juxtaposition of the creamy rose and the salty marine notes but the whole seemed muddled: I am not going to cast aspersions on the quality of the ingredients, but the rose versus marine in this one seemed to me to each make the other seem, well, kind of cheap smelling. Having typed that, it's $75.00 so if it shows up in a Christmas stocking I'd happily spray the curtains with it. It's refreshing; I just like my roses more threatening than these.

So there you have it: three big hits and one near miss. I REALLY hope that both Lostmarc'h and Luckyscent are making a comfortable profit at this price point: I am so thrilled that there's something out there that is this good for under a Benjamin I could plotz!

Now where are the soaps and candles? So far, only at their website. The rest are at LuckyScent,
(for $75.00, I mentioned that, right?) including the Lann-Ael body milk and shower gel.

Image source, maion.com.

Labels: ,

20 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm loving that one too, the Lann-Ael, that is. So comforting. I'm not getting the Froot-Loops though, I do indeed smell a very nutricious cereal and all the rest of the ingredients. I love to spray it on the back of my hand and sniff away because I love to smell it rather than smell of it.
The sea water and roses one makes me think of Ecume de Rose; is it in any way similar?
Sabina

7:57 AM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I'm so w/ you on loving the price point for these scents. They seem semi-free. I'm going to have to go retest all of them - am not sure why none of them have joined my perfume family yet.

9:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanted to love the Laan-Ael but it went more fruity than wheat/milk on me. I shall have to find someone on whom it is not apple juice, apply it to them & keep them nearby on stressy days.

10:52 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

sabina-

I don't know that scent- I'll have to seek it out.

11:11 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

Isn't it sad that that price seems so low now? A tank of gas for the average person. Geesh..

11:12 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

divalano-

It should not have worked at all for me, but I am crazy about it!

11:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

couldn't agree with you more... that rose scent just fell apart... wish-wash... but then i'm accustomed to that manly velvet rose (in the manner of dragonwyck/vincent price) created by sonoma scents

won't try that food thing... reads like baby spit

11:38 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I need to see Dragonwyk again..

1:13 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom - I'd like to buy a vowel, please... :-D

Seriously, odd names or no these sound very interesting, especially the Aod and I am not all that thrilled with most Marine scents. This seems just strange enough that it might work for me.

1:22 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I'd love to read what you think of them..

1:57 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tom -

Thanks for another great review.....these sound fantastic - and since I AM a "smart enough guy to know that I should smell good", my curiosity is piqued. Maybe I'l mosey on down to the Scent Bar next week and try these for myself - I've been wanting to smell Laan-Ael for quite sometime, and your description of Aod has me salivating (isn't it nice to know that you can still make people salivate?)

Marko

2:28 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marko-

Thanks! These days the only way I can make a guy salivate is to buy him a burger.

(bah-dum-pum! He's here all week folks!)

I really would like to read what you think of these...

3:51 PM EDT  
Blogger the oblitterati said...

Lann-Ael sounds divine. Perhaps with enough good press they'll release Count Chocula and Frankenberry flankers.

4:44 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

That made ma laugh out loud!

5:02 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

There is something about reading you, a gen-u-wine guy, raving about the Froot Loop smell of Lann-Ael that makes me smile. I'm glad it's getting some love on here. I never did try the other ones, and now I think I might...

10:05 PM EDT  
Blogger marchlion said...

PS .... don't you get something just the teensiest bit stinky in Lann-Ael? I mean, the sneakiest quasi-immortelle note or something. To me, that's what keeps it from being too sweet.

10:06 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

march-

I want to read what you think when you try them

10:32 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

Yep, but it's not too skanky.

10:34 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for those reviews! Accidentally, I have been to Paris this very weekend and had to check out the Lostmarc'h counter at le Printemps... and got myself a lovely bottle of Aod (they are just EUR 45 in France!).
There are three more fragrances in the Lostmarc'h line, btw, and if you're still thinking about moving to some French seashore, please do try Ael-Mat ("guardian angel"), if you can get it, because this definitely exactly smells like the dunes on the French Atlantic coast in summer (the small pink flowers that grow on those dunes, that is, they smell so strong they fill the air with their scent quite intensely).

4:29 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I have samples of that from PDC (along with another, I think) and will have to try them.

Thanks!

10:54 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home