Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Perfume Posse Visits (part of) Perfume Smellin' Things

By Tom

March and Patty of Perfume Posse came to Los Angeles to visit and host an event at ScentBar this weekend and of course I could no more pass up the chance to meet them than I could give up, well, perfume!

They actually came in slightly earlier than the day of the event, and since I love to show people the city who haven't been here before (as March hadn't) I volunteered to drive them around on Friday for shopping and hanging out. I will admit that there was a small amount of trepidation as there always is meeting someone that you have this Internets relationship with, electronically intimate enough that you feel like you have shared lives, but have never spent any time with in person. Would me mesh? Would they find me hopelessly boring? Would there be long periods of uncomfortable silences followed by furtive calls to friends to ask them to call back and pretend they're locked out of their place and being attacked by man-eating clams and need you to come get them? In short, would it be like Match.com?

Of course, that didn't happen. After an initial comic mishap involving hotels on one street having changed names we piled into my microscopic Honda and it was old home week. We drove around the hills of Beverly looking at (and joyously dissing) real estate I can't afford, cruised Malibu, shopped Montana Avenue and ate Pinkberry before meeting the always delightful Robin (VioletNoir) for dinner and drinks in Century City. March and Patty are just as delightful in the flesh as the are on the internets; if only Colombina could have been there. Now that would have been perfection!

The next day was ScentBar. The charming owners Adam Eastwood and Franco Wright were kind enough to open early to host a bunch of us; there were all the new things to sniff all the usual suspects including Robin and Iris. There were muffins and sugar cookies and Prosecco Bellinis. If I am very good Heaven will look like this, except it will just be me, a spa tub the size of a Fleetwood Brougham and perhaps, Hugh Jackman. If he doesn't take more than one muffin.

I tried Mure et Musc Extrait, which is great in that "berries gone bad" way, and since you're getting a refill in the package justifies the price. The Party in Manhattan was wonderful; I don't find it the skank-fest that March and Patty do. They think I'm nuts. I think I'm part house-cat.

Those were the yums; I have to say that the new Serge, Nuit de Cellophane, is a meh for me. Uncle Serge has done the definitive Fruity-Floral. Fruity-Floral has now been done in that way that "Gone With the Wind" has been done. The Genre has been officially been closed. No more should be produced and the pallid, anodyne scents that came before should retreat to some dark corner and as Colombina put it "smoke nervously". Would I wear it? Right after I appear at work in a red taffeta ball gown. Should you? Up to you.

Parfums DelRae Emotionnelle is the perfect simulacrum of fresh cantaloupe that I have smelled outside of my breakfast table. I however ran from it and was glad that March, who is old and censorious friends with Patty asked her to please wash it off forthwith.

The real surprise of the morning was a sample of Andy Tauer's new Une Rose Chyprée, a perfectly balanced rose/chypre where the rose is lifted by clementine and bay and grounded by labdanum, oakmoss and vanilla. I know there were a few rumbles of disappointment over Andy's last couple of releases, but this is going to be a runaway hit for him: the rose opening is immediately, captivatingly gorgeous and the drydown is sniff-your-arm-and-moan good. I'd have a giveaway for my sample but I am simply not that generous.. Andy, I think this should be your first perfume strength one. If you're reading.

Tomorrow (Sunday) is March and Patty's last day in the City of the Fallen Angels and we are going to get together once more. I hope to drive them across Mulholland to have lunch at the Village Cafe on Beachwood Canyon under the Hollywood sign. It's been marvelous meeting them; could someone work on that Transporter thingy in "Star Trek" so that we could all get together easily in various places on a whim? Wouldn't that be lovely?

Labels: , , , ,

21 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, Tom! What a great post! Good to know about the new Tauer & the new SL. Some lines just don't work for a person, and I guess SL is going to be one of those for me. With every new release, I think I might get the magic others get, but I'm almost ready to stop trying. Also, I've now retried the Malle Eau d'Hiver that made no impression on me before, because of your review. Now I think it's great! My nose must not have been tuned to Radio Heliotrope the first time around. Thanks!

12:07 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Tom - The MOANING you hear is me, up here in cold, wet Cascadia, dreaming of ScentBar and Bellinis!

What a great post, and what a great time! I cannot wait to try Andy's new perfume, I am practically drooling. And if I must have a fruity floral, let it be Nuits de Cellophane - I have alway liked FFs anyway, why not have the best?

Spending time with March and Patty must have been the height of fun. They would definitely be on my short list of a "Posse" to have around!

12:54 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Tom,
You may not have Hugh Jackman for he is mine:) I am so bummed that I couldn't come and meet you guys like I'd planned. It sounds like it was wonderful and the bellinis...heavenly! I'm glad that it was wonderful!

1:55 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel so lucky to have gotten a sample of Une Rose Chypree and I can't wait for its release. I'm hoarding my spritzes so I can definitely see why you wouldn't want to auction off your sample, Tom!
And speaking of Columbina and of Mur et Musc Extreme- they're both delightful, but when Columbina is wearing that hypnotic scent it's the effect is beyond paradise! Sounds like you have a marvelous time. Thanks for the enjoyable read!

1:58 AM EDT  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

Marvelous! I am so glad a good time was had by all. Sounds delightful, delovely...and denuded of melon, LOL. Huzzah to all who were able to enjoy each other's company, and thanks for writing it up for the vicarious pleasure of the rest of us.

Beth, Hugh is yours? (Takes a moment to review the situation...) ;)

8:38 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

PF-

I'm glad you retried d'Hiver and liked it! Don't count Uncle Serge out yet though..

12:00 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

The new Tauer us all that. REALLY good, and I am super-finicky about rose scents.

12:01 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

Can we share?

12:01 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

Columbina is a hypnotic lady herself!

12:02 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

scentself-

if you like melon in perfume you will love the delRay. If not, there ain't a faster scrubber out there.. :-)

12:03 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's so funny, I'm rubbing my hands together like a greedy fiend. I was rubbing in the 10CC lotion I ended up buying, and yum! I'm doing the Tauer review tomorrow, most likely.

Thanks for picking us up at the Hyatt Century City Regency Millenium Plaza Hotel of the Stars and squiring us around, that made the visit really special. I saw all those neighborhoods we'd not have found. Hugs.

12:20 PM EDT  
Blogger Illuminated Perfume said...

Sounds grand Tom. Wish I could've been there with you all.

12:21 PM EDT  
Blogger violetnoir said...

Tom it was a blast having Patty and March in this weekend. And part of that blast was getting to know you a bit better!

Hugs!

2:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

It was a blast. Hope you come back before the hotel changes it's name again. Better hurry!

3:37 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Roxana-

That would have been really nice!

3:37 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Robin-

I feel the same way!

3:38 PM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Only if I can have him first ;)))))))))))))))

8:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

just leave me some '-)

9:10 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved reading every word about your time together! What fun :-)

9:18 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

trish-

thank you!

9:54 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have great knowledge of perfume and fragrances, really loves to read you blog.

4:17 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home