Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Dirty Sexy Candy: Serge Lutens El Attarine

By Tom

There was a point in my life where the promise of a new Serge filled me anticipation. I would try to jump though hoops. That was the heady years when Muscs Kublai Khan, Tubereuse Criminelle up to the release of Borneo 1834 and Chene. The last ones, even ones that I enjoyed (even ones that I bought) didn't exactly make me want to jump so high or so far. Dear Uncle Serge, I thought had been to that well just a few times too many, and frankly another trip to the nut/fruit/wood file I didn't think I needed.

Then Patty sent me a decant of this.

She wrote that it was like "like hot, sweaty sex in the forest", while our own Marina states that it's "superbly comforting".

On me there's definitely a punch in the opening: the immortelle, cumin and fenugreek are undeniably drrrty: it's that scene in "The Postman Always Rings Twice" in a bottle. You certainly don't want to dab this on just before a job interview or an audience with your clergyman. After the "get down, get down" opening calms it becomes that creamy skin scent on me that Marina writes of. Not fluffy like Louve or foodie-literal like 5 O'Clock Au Gingembre, it's a plush-smelling skin scent with a sly wink.

This is what happens when I stop paying attention..

El Attarine is available at the Palais Royal, tiresomely whipped only in the EU (although if rumors on Basenotes are to be believed, that police will be changing. I can't wait)

Image source, salons-shiseido.com.

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Anonymous Louise said...

Thanks, Tom-it seems El Attarine is one of less-appreciated SLs in recent years.

But-I adore it, from the cumin hit to the slightly fruity drydown. I wear it alone in all it's dirty glory, and also layered with a teesy bit of Arabie, or Bois et Fruits.

It's hardcore Lutens, and a delight...on the right day.

8:29 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

What a great review! And now I'm going to be humming "get down, get down" all day... Not such a bad fate.

9:05 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Louise-

I was surprised by it in a very good way!

12:40 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

Nope, not such a bad one at all..

12:40 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oh gosh, I NEED this. Cumin/immortelle/fenugreek yum! All of these love my skin chemistry for some reason. Thank you for the intriguing review.

1:24 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ducks-

thanks! Sadly I think I need this too. Hope the rumor on Basenoets is true..

2:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

Tom, your delicious review confirms my original theory that I would really love this one, based on reports when it first came out. I can't wait to try it!

4:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous ghostranchguy said...

enough of this line...

serge lutens now makes me gag... i'm sick to death of his work... cloying gooey gunk... the romance is G.O.N.E.

plus it's EVERYWHERE... wafting heavily as does the neighbor's fabric softener

4:41 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I'd love to hear what you think about it.

7:06 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

your neighbor must be liberal with the Bounce...

7:07 PM EDT  
Blogger Mals86 said...

Tom, thanks for the review - and it was quite timely for me! My typical testing MO is to toss a couple of sample vials into my purse before I leave the house. AFter I drop the kids off at their various schools (I should just get one of those chauffeur hats...) and make my way to work, I choose a sample and test drive it through my part-time working hours.

Yesterday EA was one of the vials in my purse. After reading this, though, I decided to test La Myrrhe instead and leave El Attarine for an afternoon at home! It sounds NSFW, at least in my case. Looking forward to trying it, though.

(Adored La Myrrhe, anyway. A 5ml decant would probably last me the rest of my life, but I love the scent.)

9:03 AM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

Huh. You know, I totally blew this off. I think I need to try it.

11:22 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Mals-

the opening ins NSFW for sure. An hour or so into it I'm sure you'd be fine.

I babysat my godchild for one weekend. I think I drove more in that weekend than I did the previous year, lamenting that my social life should be that far-ranging..

12:07 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

you and me both!

12:08 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home