Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Fire in the Sky: Strange Invisible Perfumes Fire and Cream

By Tom

When Marina wrote about this houses Aquarian Roses she compared the scent to a magician's trick, Alexandra Balahoutis being the magician. Her newest, Fire and Cream in my mind puts her more int the role of a painter of the California Plein Air school. It was inspired by a late-summer evening sky and although I'm sure that she didn't in my minds eye I see her mixing the scent in front of that fiery sunset.

It opens on me with a burst of ripe orange, somewhat like Mandarine Mandarin, but branching off with the addition of an innocent orange blossom and smoky frankincense. Whiffs of lavender and tuberose join in, but never overpowering. The drydown finally gets to the cream: sandalwood and a touch of patchouli. It's not a literal cream; it's not the funhouse Creamsicle of Argenteé (as much as I enjoyed that one). It's the polish on the woods and the barely-there patch that is a wonderful take on a warm summer evening.

Like some of the scents at SIP (Lyric Rain, for instance, ain't), this one is fairly unisex. It's available at their store in Venice, CA and on their website (link above), $145 for 1.7oz of EDP and $195 for 1/40z of perfume

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Anonymous Lavanya said...

oooh..This sounds lovely and might warrant a trip to Venice, CA

12:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

The name alone made me want this -then I read the description and wow! Seriously good stuff and the price is not too bad for an indie!

1:06 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

*unreasonable peeve alert*

It sounds lovely but --unlike Flora -- I can't get past the name, which I think is terrible. Maybe it's because I cook so much, but I can't stop thinking about burnt and boiling cream, about cinnamon creamsicles, about, I don't know what. Just can't get those two words together in my mind. Am I the only one with this trouble?

9:43 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Lavanya-

They're very nice there, and worth a trip.

11:33 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

Nope, it's not too bad for an indie. (isn't that saying something..)

11:34 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Alyssa-

Nope.

It has severals layers of ick in the name IMHO. But the juice is so nice I don't care.

11:36 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

This sounds beauuuuutiful. Thanks, Tom! The name doesn't "aggro" me, so I must be the target market -- it actually makes me reflect pleasantly on the slow process of making clotted cream over a double boiler.

12:28 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Ducks-

I've never done that (made clotted cream- I've certainly eaten it!) but it sounds like fun..

1:14 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

I'm convinced this is going to catapult to the top of my list of fave SIPs. Sounds incredible! And I love the image you had of her creating this w/ a fiery sunset in her sights - wonderfully magical, almost wiccanesque.

6:10 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I liked this one a lot.

7:01 PM EDT  
Blogger Illuminated Perfume said...

Tom,
Lucky you! I RSVP'd to the event too late and they sent me an e-mail saying the opening was full. Darn! I so wanted to try this one. Thanks for your impressions, always a pleasure to read.
(Alyssa, my husband has an issue with the name too.)

6:03 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Roxana-

I didn't RSVP either; I want on the Saturday before to try it. I'm glad the event was a big success for them.

7:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually love the name. *ducks* It makes me want to try the fragrance despite the fact that I dislike citrus as a rule.

12:41 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home