Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, April 08, 2010

This 'N That: Strange Invisible Perfumes Essence of IX, Comme des Garçons Series 1: Leaves Lily

By Tom

This weekend I was out and about with no-one to play with. So what did I do? I sniffed perfume, naturally. That and I looked at the iPad.

Saturday was a trip to Venice to try the new SIP, Essence of IX. It's a lovely thing that opens with bright blackberries and rose that's inspired by a napa winery. Sadly it sort of died on me, but I'm not sure that isn't the fault of the testers being EdP spray strength while the actual product is pure perfume. But since they didn't have testers of the actual strength (nor did they have samples or offer to make one) I can only judge by the spritz on my wrist. Well, that's money towards my car insurance.

Easter Sunday was a trip to the Grove to take a look at the iPad. If you wish you can read more about that at my blog since I ramble enough here..

Scentbar was open on that Easter Sunday so I stopped in. I had a lovely conversation with the nice young man about various things and he told me that he had heard that the Leaves series of Comme des Garçons most likely was going away. Since I had never bought a bottle of Lily and there was one left in the store I felt I had to: Lily of the Valley is one of my all time favorite smells, and this one is a literal take on my childhood memories of it. It grew wild in patches in the shade of the Maple trees ringing my New England childhood home- trees that were at the time very old and whose shade made sure that our house was always about 20 degrees cooler on a hot summer day and provided a riot of color in fall (as well as endless raking..). It was such a lovely scent that for the few weeks they bloomed we would mow around them. Comme des Garçons take on it adds in the grass clippings and a fair bit of soil. It's almost exactly like laying in that new mown lawn in that dappled shade, or at least my memory of it more than a quarter century old. At $82 dollars (and the last one in the store) I bought.

Later having coffee I did feel the earthquake in Baja and it was a reminder to keep vigilant. Coincidentally, it's earthquake preparedness month in Beverly Hills, and there's an emergency preparedness list at the city website. While all of you don't live where there might be a quake, it's actually a pretty good idea to keep some of this on hand if you live in an area that floods or snows or tornadoes or hurricanes. In other words, everywhere

Essence of IX is available at their $320 for .25 oz. Lily is still listed as available at Luckyscent.

Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The perfume sounds really nice, but I agree with you. If it doesn't last, then why bother? They should have offered you a small sample.

1:20 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Eric-

It's a problem I have with some of SIP's wares. The ones that are perfume only simply don't come across in the available tester's strength.

The ones that are meant to be EdP are fine though..

1:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried the CDG Lily last week... and HATED it. I typically like lily and muguet notes, and green florals are a shoo-in for me, but Lily was so unpleasant on my skin - astringent, cleanser-like, unfriendly - that I went for some DK Gold to cover it up. I was really surprised.

5:42 PM EDT  
Blogger elle said...

Yikes! Painful price point for the SIP. Yes, I know it's a LE, but it's still painful. On a brighter note, I was inspired to go check out their site - *love* the fact that it's so much more user friendly now and was thrilled to see that Heroine is apparently no longer d/ced. Phew! Oh, and I thought that Leaves was d/ced ages ago. Good to know they're not totally gone yet! I do love their Lily and am going to hit a garden center in the next week or so and try to get some lotv plants. Bliss! OK, more word verification weirdness. My first try failed, but my second one reads "kablissd" - which I obviously hadn't seen before typing in about my feelings about getting LOTV plants. I get a kick out of little coincidences like that. :-) Am easy to please.

6:45 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

muse-

sorry it went so sour on you!

9:17 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

elle-

I'm glad they have a new site as well- the old one was awful!

my WV is "angst"

9:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

The Lily sounds like moi, I hope it likes my skin!

The SIP sounds marvelous as well, but how can something with those notes fade so much?

1:49 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

One of my favorite fumes is SIP's Aquarian Roses, which hangs on for hours and hours. Since longevity is a must for me I'm going to pass on the SIP.
The ipad, (which I also played with on Easter Sunday) is another story! Imagining sitting in my garden, checkin my email while smelling the roses, now that sounds like a lovely afternoon!

8:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two Easter lillies in my house right now, and I'm loving the rich, heady scent. For me, the scent of any lilly is a celebration (which is why I wore Diorissimo at my wedding). I've tried very few CdeG scents, but this might have to be one of them. Thanks for the review (and watch those earthquakes!)

9:56 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

I think it's that the concentration I tired was thinned out.

11:45 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Marian-

I think you just came up with a new way to market the iPad!

11:48 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Anon-

I am watching out!

11:48 AM EDT  
Anonymous Scent Hive said...

Tom, I have a sample of the parfum strength and it is gorgeous and long lasting!

6:32 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

scent hive-

Good news- wish they had offered me one though..

9:20 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tom--I think my daughter and I were in Luckyscent when you were there-- I wish I had known to say hello! On the SIP's-- I purchased a perfume on a visit in December, and they still only offered samples for purchase-- for some reason, the SA's are not, apparently, authorized to offer samples. They have a reasonably priced sample set of five, though. I'm still dabbing the little things. None of the SIP's have a great deal of staying power--they need to be reapplied frequently. Cheers, and have your earthquake preparedness fully stocked and near the front door--Mary

12:34 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Hi Mary-

I don't think you were there- there was just me and the SA. But if you were and I didn't see you I wish you had said "hi"!

I wish they had told me there were samps for purchase, I would have bought some..

1:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous Fragrances said...

The perfume sounds really gorgeous!!! I am going crazy to try this one, hope this one will be my last choice.


Have a great weekend.

5:48 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home