Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Sweets for the Sweet...Reglisse Noire by 1000 Flowers


By Tom

Anise can be a tricky note in perfumes. For me there's always the spectre of something like Blue Sugar, which I wrote smelled like deep-fried black licorice However in the hands of Jessica September Buchanan, the Grasse-trained Canada based nose behind 1000 Flowers, this is a black licorice that’s more Pernod-fueled romp than trip to the candy store.

I think the key is that the black licorice is never alone: it starts being cut by shiso and brightened by mint and pepper while in the heart it's cut with ginger and cocoa. In the drydown it gets seriously sexy with vanilla, vetiver, musk and a twist of patchouli. It does a yin and yang thing of being both sweet and dark; it’s a sultry night at the Sazerac Bar. It's cocktails, whispers, intimate laughter that may lead to perhaps taking a room for the night: a frolic, a fancy, an adventure that's not for the kiddies...

In an extra flourish of eco-friendliness, 1000 Flowers has created a bottle that’s refillable, with a special threaded atomizer that can lock for travel, while the box itself is made from British Columbia cedar, a product of leftovers from home building. It’s always nice to see that level of detail in both the scent and the packaging.

Available at Indiescents.com, $100 for 50ML. I received my sample from Indiescents.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Vintage Lady said...

I read that liquorice scent is something very appreciated by women. Until now, I have never tried a perfume that has liquorice as its scent ingredients. Something I will have definitely to try.

7:15 AM EDT  
Blogger StyleSpy said...

Mmmmm. Anise is one of my favorite smells (and flavors), but I don't have an anise perfume yet. They're tricky. I still have flashbacks about my terrible encounter with Aimez Moi (get it off meeeeeeeee!!!). This sounds yummy, though. Are samples available on the site?

9:40 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Vintage Lady-

It's not a note that usually commends itself to me; this was a surprise. I really liked it.

11:00 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

stylespy

I think indiescents does samples too. I'd be shocked if they didn't since it's the same people as luckyscent

11:01 AM EDT  
Blogger Dionne said...

Thanks for the heads-up about this - you had me at Canadian ;)

3:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Martha said...

Anise! (bouncebouncebounce) I love liquorice. Childhood _and_ weird and bitter. This sounds lovely.

10:27 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Dionne-

I am looking forward to seeing more releases from her!

10:42 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

chikenfreak-

First- lovr your avatar!

If you like licorice you will really love this scent.

10:44 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Ooh, anise, I am ALL about this one! Gotta try it soon. When it's done right it is wonderful. I am one of those people who likes a good gourmand as long as it's not too literal, and there seem to be enough other notes in here to make it interesting.

2:49 AM EDT  
Anonymous Marian said...

The ingredients are making me hungry :-)

9:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Donna-

It's done very well

7:08 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

marian-
I know, right?

7:09 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Oho, this sounds very me!

2:02 AM EDT  
Anonymous eleven european mystics said...

reads great from beginning to end, including the cedar box.and quite irresistible for the sniffer and the sniffed. Another huge temptation. What's disconcerting and distressing is that beauty is not shipped globally, although it is commented on a global level. Anticipation grows as a result.
At least one knows that one knows little...:-) mm...i remember right when it crosses my mind that you're not a fan of Eau de Reglisse?

5:48 AM EDT  
Anonymous retro Sweets said...

hi, i Love the layered sweets and lollipops in the jars, the ghosts are sooo cute.

2:34 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home