Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, January 24, 2011

In Search of … More Ingredients: Mémoire Liquide Bisou au Chocolat

By Tamara

Since I was a tiny little girl, I can remember loving different scents. My mother used to call me “her little rabbit” because I was always sniffing. I often put it upon myself to buy her perfume. To this day, I still buy scents for her and my loved ones! I started collecting perfume from a very early age and my love of scent has since taken on a life of its own. My collection of fragrances is too large to count. I began writing about fragrance and studying the art of perfumery nearly four years ago. I am extremely pleased to have found my clan, my people – fellow lovers of scent and perfume who have formed a virtual online community. Marina is one of those people. She inspired me to write. I have always enjoyed, respected and learned from her writing. Therefore, I am tremendously honored and excited to contribute to Perfume Smellin’ Things. When I am not here, I am helping to extend the lives of people with rare disorders for an outstanding biopharmaceutical organization or nurturing the bodies and minds of my little ones. I am the new mother of an inquisitive, sweet, beautiful and strong-willed 2-year-old daughter and an affectionate, talkative, roly-poly 5-month-old son. My wonderful husband has learned the formula to my happiness: indulging my sense of smell often. He has also embraced a similar approach to fragrance as my own. You can also find me at my own blog: For the Love of Perfume. I look forward to growing my clan here on PST and learning from all of you!
________________

It was October of 2007, and as a card-carrying member of Sniffapalooza, I approached various counters at Henri Bendel during the Annual Fall Ball. None intrigued me more than the Mémoire Liquide display, with its apothecary style clear glass bottles grouped by scent category. Numerous, seemingly lit from within, identical bottles sat neatly arranged before me in rows of what seemed liked hundreds (not far from the truth – in reality, over 150 in the collection). Uniform to the eye, they promised a virtual candy store to the nose. I could literally graze here for hours, breathing in the various scents and conjuring combinations of each.

Founders Robin Coe-Hutshing and her sister Jennifer Coe are my personal heroes for first creating Studio at Fred Segal. They then launched Mémoire Liquide in late 2006. Their idea is based upon an ever growing consumer population: one who longs to unveil the art of perfumery and desires their own personally created fragrance. They advocate Marcel Proust’s In Search of Lost Time and an idea perfumistas have oft explored: the visceral link of scent to memory.

While modern data suggest all senses are indeed tied to memory, I gladly supported Mémoire Liquide’s marketing concept in the interest of indulging my olfactory sense. With the help of a knowledgeable sales associate, I devised a “cocktail” of scent oils that spoke to me, ultimately creating one scent to wear. It was difficult to decide between a perfume, scented body lotion, bath oil or reed diffuser purchase. Should I go back to that counter one day, my personal fragrance formula may still be on file and I can purchase to my heart’s content. I recall the time spent at the Mémoire Liquide display as captivating, fun and gratifying.

All I have left to commemorate the aforementioned day at Henri Bendel are two scanty samples: Bisou au Chocolat and Mousse de Chene. I have chosen to review the first since, judging by its name; it falls into the Mélange Gourmandise collection. (The scents are broken down into ten aromatic categories.) Gourmands are typically “my style,” especially those that masterfully combine foody notes with spices.

Described as vanilla bean blended with musk “with a touch of unsweetened chocolate,” I agree that Bisou au Chocolat should be a member of the Mélange Gourmandise collection. However, I did not expect a rich, sweet floral accord to headline the scent. Sweet vanilla serves to intensify this mystical flower and its dough-y quality prompts me to declare it heliotrope. Musk resonates on the high, squeaky clean end of the scale. I am not a huge fan of dirty musk, but I do like it dirtier than this. I detect some chocolate but the scent mostly lingers on a sweet, dough-like topic, accented by soapy musk. To my dismay, the high pitch of this scent never deepens or develops. It remains on my skin a sticky sweet, slightly overwhelming combination until it simply fades away. Therefore, on its own I cannot call it my own.

Remembering the idea behind the line, I realize that choosing one Mémoire Liquide oil to review is like tasting one savory ingredient from a gargantuan gourmet meal. It presents only a sample but on its own fails to shine – to be expected. Is not shredded coconut too sweet to the palette by itself, but sprinkled into a cooked shrimp glaze tastes absolutely delectable? Shame on me. I imagine paired with a scent from the Encens, Bois et Epices collection – something like Bois de Figuieur – Bisou au Chocolate could be glorious. Perhaps another Sniffapalooza will lure me back to New York City and the Mémoire Liquide display. Better yet, I think I hear my name being called by the lovely associates at Studio Fred Segal in Los Angeles. I am certain they will assist me in my quest.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Tamara! I read your blog and missed your posts, but I understand how two small children can take up almost everything! ;)
Great to see you posting here on Pst too. I am looking forward to your articles.
I never paid attention to Memoire Liquide yet, it seems do humongous a line, thanks for the introduction.

6:12 AM EST  
Anonymous Victoria said...

Welcome to PST and welcome back to blogging, Tamara! I look forward to reading your posts both here and on your own blog!

9:49 AM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hi Olfactoria,

Thank you for the warm welcome back! Yes, two little ones create non-stop work, that is for certain! I respect all parents for what they do every day.

Memoire Liquide -- worth a look. If only to find your personal blend to remind you of an event or stage in your life.

10:38 AM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Victoria,

Hello!! Nice to "see" you again after such a long time! Thank you ... it's good to be back. :)

10:41 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Welcome Tamara!

I tried the ML at Fred Segal in Santa Monica, but found it bewildering, like going into the Netflix streming without a clear idea of what I want to watch..

1:00 PM EST  
Blogger ScentScelf said...

As a chypre person, I'm chomping at the bit to hear about Mousse de Chene. But I'm happy to bide my time savoring your description of your Bisou au Chocolat experience. :)

As the parent of two children no longer roly-poly, I wish you fun and adventure (and a measure of patience and peace) as you embark upon this oh-so-busy era in your life. It will be nice to find you here.

1:16 PM EST  
Blogger Marina said...

Welcome, Tamara! I just adore the name of the scent, Bisou au Chocolate :)

1:22 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Tom,

Next time, ask for a scent guide to take you through the line and help you come up with your bespoke fragrance. I cannot imagine facing that sea of bottles unaided! ;)

3:09 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Scent Self,

Thank you! I now understand why most sound of mind people have children in their twenties. Ah well, they keep me young! I apologize that Mousse de Cheney was not my pick ... There is always next time ...

3:12 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Mousse de Cheney, that is. ;)

3:14 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Marina,

Isn't it though? I wish it had more substance. It would be fun to announce the name when asked!

3:15 PM EST  
Anonymous Flora said...

Tamara, so nice to see you here with us! I am glad you are also blogging again, I have really enjoyed your writing.

What a treat the Bisou au Chocolat must be, I hope to try something in that line soon. But how to choose!?

4:22 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Flora,

Thank you! It's good for my soul to write and so fun to have some time for it again. I should have included in my post: ask for a guided "tour" through the scents at ML. Much more enjoyable that way! :-)

5:41 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

I apologize - my iPhone does not recognize "Chene" and replaced it with "Cheney." Blasphemous!

5:42 PM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love i phone misspellings/weird texts. You sent me gorgeous, generous samples about 3 years ago-it was so generous of you. I'm glad you're blogging, and I hope your family is doing well!
Yours truly,

Carole (Saint John, NB)

7:18 PM EST  
Blogger ForTheLoveOfPerfume said...

Hello Carole,

Yes, I remember!

Technology has its hilarious downfalls. ;-) Thank you for reading.

5:41 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home