Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Angel, Angel, Down We Go: Profumum Arso and Battito d'Ali

By Tom

Profumum is a line that the reviewers here at PST seem to have issues with. Looking back at the reviews on here, there seems to be a these of "we like them, but.." having mostly to do with the price. Two new ones have popped up at ScentBar/Luckscent so I stopped in for a sample.

I can't say that I am moved.

Arso I immediately liked. Leather, incense and smoke; what's not to love? It's just that I can think of three scents I already have that are treading the same ground. Is it really worth $65 more than Annick Goutals very similar Encense Flamboyant? Not when I have a bottle of the AG at home.

Battito d'Ali apparently means "the beating of wings" and is meant to evoke a feeling or peace and protection. As far as I can tell it does so by lifting whole its opening from Lostmarc'H Laan-Ael and adding in a bit of cocao. If Lann-Ael is Apple Jacks, then Battito d'Ali is Count Chockula. Nice, but not at 3 times the price of Lann-Ael.

Now, you, dear reader are going to have to take this with a grain of salt. These are of course my opinions, and are perhaps colored by the fact that A) I practically live at ScentBar so every new thing they get I'm there to try and B) I'm cheap. I may be at the point in my sniffage that I don't need to have the latest and newest simply because it's the latest or newest. These days it has to knock my socks off to get my money, and while both of these are perfectly nice, at $240 for 100ML my socks are still firmly attached to my feet.

At Luckyscent, where I cadged the samples.

(10 points to anyone who's seen the movie the title of this review references)

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger taffynfontana said...

cult of the damned?

2:51 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

10 points!

8:56 AM EDT  
Blogger Susan said...

LOL Count Chocula. Is it really 3x the price of Apple Jacks? Maybe that explains why my mom would never buy me that cereal.

10:11 AM EDT  
Blogger Carol said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:29 PM EDT  
Blogger Carol said...

Profumum's Ninfea is a perfume I want sooo badly, but there is no way in hell (see how I referenced your title!??!) I can afford it.

12:30 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

I think the cereals are the same price. Would that the perfumes were..

12:38 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Frida-

I'm with you. Now way in hell I can go down that road.

12:38 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the name "Battito d'Ali," but was leery about the notes... looks like I was right to stay away from the cursed cocoa.

12:53 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

it's not a huge cocoa-fest. If it were less spendy I'd like it more.

12:56 PM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

Okay, comparing it to Count Chocula sort of made me want it.

Remember Quake and Quisp? How about King Vitamin?

12:59 PM EDT  
Blogger Carol said...

March, I LOVED Quisp - it was just the right shape to soak up the milk and didn't hurt the top of your mouth like Quake did!

1:19 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy K said...

March, it's King VitaMAN. I swear that I ate it for at least a decade before I noticed.

Battito d'Ali is just kind of weird. It isn't nearly as gourmand as I was expecting from its list of notes (definitely nothing like Lann-Ael on me), but something gives it a strange soapy quality that clashes with everything else. I sampled Hilde Soliani Conaffetto this week and enjoyed it much more.

1:50 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

March-

I was deprived. We never got those cereals on the house. My parents were all about the oatmeal and granola. I had to pick up my cereal wits on the streets..

2:11 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Amy K-

When I finally got to try some of these the first one I went for was Cap'n Crunch but it was like eating sugar-frosted shards of glass!

2:12 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Amy K-

It's Laan Ael in the beginning on me, straight up. Then adds in the wierd cocao bit. To change cereal metaphors, I wasn't kookoo for the cocoa..

2:16 PM EDT  
Anonymous ghostranchguy said...

i kindah liked arso... smokey beyond belief... i would pay the extra for the saturation (and did)... "encense flamboyant" didn't cut it for me... very meek... thin

i like this heavy stuff...
no nonsense

11:42 PM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ghostranchguy-

I get it. I just couldn't make that monetary leap.

2:44 AM EDT  
Anonymous Talukdar said...

like this.....Battito d'Ali

9:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous March said...

Tom, that's terrible about those cereals! We ate all that crap :) although I don't give it to my kids, the closest they get is honey-nut Cheerios.

9:22 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home