Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

A Sample Bonanza!

Mini reviews by Marla

As a reward to myself for successfully hauling my household (including 2 bunny rabbits) across the Atlantic to our new tropical home, I purchased a modest group of samples from Luckyscent. I’m enjoying every single one on some level or another (from cerebral appreciation to “Grr, Cavewoman WANT NOW!”) Here are some of my not-very-organized-or-aesthetically-sophisticated thoughts on the whole smelly lot:

1. Atelier Cologne- Vanille Insensee- Why don’t perfumers use English or Spanish for names sometimes, I mean, what’s wrong with “Insane Vanilla” or “Vainilla Loco”? For those sick of French, try saying the Spanish, it’s fun! And this is a fun perfume, gorgeous, but a little weird and frivolous. I don’t care for gourmand vanillas, and this one is perfect for me. It’s lovely in tropical heat as well, and I don’t think for a moment I’ve spilled my ice cream cone down my shirt. I’m very impressed with this fairly new niche brand.

2. Atelier Cologne- Orange Sanguine- Well, the name’s all right for this one, I guess, but “Naranja Feliz” is better. Are you listening, Atelier staff?? The most realistic orange cologne I’ve ever tried, it reminds me of a new Brazilian orange essence that came out recently, very substantial, no bitterness, long-lasting. This would be the perfect cologne to spray on before going for a morning run, it really does induce happiness and amp up my energy level.

3. Tauer Perfumes- Orange Star- Andy’s perfumes don’t always play nice with my skin, the Tauerade can go very soapy on me. This is a lovely, oriental, antique orange, the polar opposite of Atelier’s, and I like it very much. I’d wear this one in winter, though. The soap note appears, then hides while the deeper woody amber smooths everything over. This is what I thought “Baume de Doge” was going to smell like, that whole antique wood/spice chest thing is here. I agree with the UK Fifi judges on this one, it’s brilliant.

4. Tauer Perfumes- Zeta- For those perfumistas who want to own a Tauer but can’t wear the Tauerade, Zeta really parts with tradition and delivers a beautiful, radiant and feminine floral. Wow, do I feel girly in this one! Please do not wear this around bees.

5. Parfums de Nicolai Weekend a Deauville- Well, Denyse really nailed this in her review on Grain de Musc, all I can say is “YUM!” Green, floral, a little odd, terminally classy, light yet substantive. My current Nicolai favorite.

6. And now, drumroll, my Numero Uno of the group: The Different Company’s De Bachmakoff. If I hadn’t just moved and spent large portions of my bank account on boring new appliances that work in the New World, I’d buy a liter of this. I’m the Queen of Mean Green scents, and this might be my ultimate perfume thrill. It’s Scandinavian forests, Slavic bathhouses, icy spring flowers, Russian 19th century poetry, the notes don’t matter, this is a piece of true olfactory art, and I’m sorry it’s Celine Ellena’s swan song for the line. Come back someday, Celine, OK?

Labels:

24 Comments:

Blogger Flora said...

Marla, I think you just created a whole bunch of new lemmings with this post! Now I am really intrigued by De Bachmakoff too, as much as I adore green scents.

12:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous matildaben said...

I'm lucky I already have samples of all but one of the above, because otherwise I'd be making another Luckyscent order based on this post!

12:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Well, the founders of Atelier Cologne come from Marseille and Toulouse, so it's not too strange that the parfume names are in french... Also I thought that "Insensee" is a play for Insane + Incense.

12:57 AM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

I'm with Flora -- lemmings, lemmings! You and I are very close to scent twins, I think... except I don't mind the occasional ice cream cone down the top.

1:46 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful - if dangerous - post, Marla! I adore the Ateliers too and the others - well, you are really good at creating other people's wishlists, you know! ;)

3:47 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Flora,
De Bachmakoff is really to swoon over, and I know you love those greens as much as I do!
-Marla

6:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

matildaben,
What did you think of them? Post your mini-reviews here!
-Marla

6:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lady jane grey-
Yes, they are French, it's just a pet peeve of mine, I want perfumes that have a reach into the New World to occasionally sport New World names! Haitian French or Haitian Kreyol would be OK....
-Marla

6:09 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ducks,
I don't mind a more gourmand vanilla from time to time, but unfortunately, my DH hates vanilla, maybe the only male on the planet who does.... Bvlgari Black provides a solution, though, it's a bit gourmand, but that rubber note offsets it nicely.
-Marla

6:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birgit,
Right back at you! Reading your blog has increased my lemming/wish list by about 75%.... And yes, Atelier is really impressive. I'm too jaded to pay attention to every new niche brand these days, but these people really jumped the line and now I'm hooked.
-Marla

6:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Karin said...

Hi Marla! OK, is it wrong of me to ignore the perfume reviews and focus on your move "across the Atlantic" to a tropical home???? Where oh where are you living??? Sounds wonderful!

7:38 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We left the Alps and have been assigned to Florida for awhile, which makes me happy, because I love the climate here! The bunnies are appreciating their air conditioning, though, it's a bit hot outside for them....
-Marla

7:51 AM EDT  
Blogger fey said...

Thank you for your post...and best of luck in your new home! I love Orange Sanguine too...a very happy scent.
So fun to read.

10:12 AM EDT  
Blogger Alyssa said...

"terminally classy" LOL!

Love these one-offs, Marla. And I had samples of both Zeta and the Different Company one on their way to me before I read this so yay!

10:22 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

where did you move to?

11:27 AM EDT  
Blogger Dixie said...

Love the reviews, Marla! Thank you! Can't wait to try Zeta and De Bachmakoff!

12:26 PM EDT  
Blogger Ducks said...

Marla, did you ever try CdE's weird Vanille Galante? It might fly with your spouse. It truly transforms the aroma into something green and floaty.

1:50 PM EDT  
Blogger Amy K said...

Moving is rough - you definitely deserve some samples! Have you tried Diptyque's Eau Duelle? If you like Vanille Insensee, you might like that too.

1:53 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy and Ducks,
I did try Eau Duelle and liked it very much, contemplating a decant, in fact. So I must try Vanille Galante, sounds like my kind of vanilla!
-Marla

3:59 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Alyssa,
Let me know what you think once you try them!
-Marla

4:00 PM EDT  
Blogger a.k.a. Warum said...

This is dangerous indeed -- what the heck was I thinking when I didn't order a sample of Zeta? I am that girl that you are writing about, so this may be my Tauer.

And 100% with you on Spanish names!!!

4:51 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warum,
I'm enjoying the two Tauers on clothing, rather than on skin. But Zeta I can wear without any trouble at all.
-Marla

6:21 PM EDT  
Anonymous maggiecat said...

Thanks for the lovely posts - and enjoy Florida. I grew up in south Florida before making my mid-life trek to Sallas a few years ago. Florida has much to love. Except the summers of course! But you can grow jasmine and gardenias and passionflowers...

10:35 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maggiecat,
Yes, I really love gardenias and jasmine in the yard in the evening! I'll have a chance to create a backyard garden, I am including both. Now if only I could grow an ylang ylang tree very quickly....;-)
-Marla

8:02 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home