Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sweet Tooth: frozen desserts.

By Tom

I admit that I'm not the biggest consumer of sweets. It's might be heresy to some, but chocolate isn't my thing. While I enjoy a good frosted treat as much as the next person, I can easily pass on the cupcakes. Even having Sprinkles and the LA branch of Magnolia Bakery doesn't sway me.

I do have a weakness for Pinkberry.

Pinkberry is a frozen yogurt brand that started in 2005 in a tiny storefront just south of Santa Monica Blvd in West Hollywood. Within a few weeks of opening, there were lines up the block for what detractors and addicts alike referred to as "crackberry". That location became "the taste that launched 1,000 parking tickets." according to the LA Times and neighbors on Huntley Drive were apoplectic about the amount of illegal parkers and trash being generated on their little street. I admit that I waited in a mercifully short line to try it, and was instantly smitten, but not so much that I was going to brave the general craziness of hours-long waits in the California sun for some yogurt. Then, a second one opened in Koreatown, and I went. Then one in Hollywood, and I went. Then Venice: I went. Then in Beverly Hills and the original Huntley Drive location became the corporate office and the neighbors were left in peace. Having one in the hood was the end: I can have my "healthy" treat and walk home after? Instant gratification.

Then it seemed it was everywhere. A second Beverly Hills. Two in the Marina, two more in Santa Monica You started to get the feeling that if you left a store and came back later in the afternoon it would have turned into a Pinkberry. They were in the Beverly Center and the Farmer's Market. In the Valley, Orange County and the Inland Empire. Then the Bay area. Then other states. Then other countries. More importantly for me, one opened up in Little Tokyo, walking distance to my work.

So sometimes on hot days I have Pinkberry for lunch. I don't feel like I'm being too terrible. Unlike most frozen yogurt, Pinkberry isn't very sweet. The plain is rather tart and even the chocolate is more cocoa than Cadbury. I tend to stick to the fresh fruit if I get toppings at all so I don't think I'm packing on the calories. Like most addicts I delude myself that it has to be good for me. It's yogurt, after all; Jamie Leigh Curtis would approve, right?

Now we're springing into Spring and the temps this Sunday are supposed to be well into the 80's. I think I see a medium lychee with a spritz of fresh lime juice (the new combo) in my future. If there's a One near you check it out..

In the mean time, what's your favorite frozen treat?

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Anonymous ElizabethC said...

When I am behaving it is frozen yogurt (tasty and not too bad on weight watchers). When I am evil it is a butterscotch ice cream bar dipped in dark chocolate that they sell at our local farmers market in Seattle!!!! Amazing!

12:34 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Elizabeth C-

that sounds incredible!

1:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

You have not lived my friend until you've tasted Jeni's splendid ice cream! Google it and drool.... It's not healthy really with the exception of the fact that they use amazing local ingredients. Blackberries, goat cheese and sweet corn? Salted caramel? pear and fresh sweet cream?
Go to www.jenisicecreams.com

Unreal stuff especially drenched in bittersweet chocolate sauce and real whipped cream!

2:12 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Beth-

Health is overrated..

2:23 AM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Now I am cross that there are no Pinkberry stores near me..... :-)

I love ice cream, sorbet, frozen yogurt etc. of almost any kind, so it's hard to pick just one, but one I really love that I hardly ever eat because it's so very wicked is Ben & Jerry's New York Superfudge Chunk - may as well come with a defibrillator. For more frequent indulgence, Haagen Dazs Mango sorbet will do just fine.

2:24 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

D-

I'm partial to Phish Food myself but try to stay away from it. I don't need my cholesterol to number higher than my zip code..

2:44 AM EDT  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

Tom, your Pinkberry would be very much my taste too. I should probably franchize one in Vienna ?!
(Vienna is heavy on icecream parlours with Italian style icecream - and that again is heavy on sugar. So I mostly make my own icecream with little sugar. That tends to be heavy on real vanilla, or high % chocolate, or fresh fruit - yummm)

3:46 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Jane-

Make your own in Vienna. Why pay franchising fees?

While you're at it open one here; there's always room for really good ice cream and yours read as divine!

3:50 AM EDT  
Blogger marsha said...

Haagan Daz chocolate peanut butter ice cream. Thank goodness I don't have daily access to it!

7:34 AM EDT  
Blogger CC ... said...

We have the most amazing home-made ice cream store near me called Frieze, an institution around these parts and all of their ice creams are dee-licious!

And, like Flora, I love Ben & Jerry's New York Superfudge Chunk ... yummm!

Thank you for the review, Tom. I'm ashamed to admit I have a Pinkberry near me and have never gone. Not really a yogurt kind of girl but I must remedy that post-haste ... and the jeni's, and ... and ...

8:37 AM EDT  
Blogger Alice said...

I do love frozen yogurt, but if I'm not trying to be good I reach for some Banana Pudding ice cream from Bluebell.

12:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a huge fan of frozen yogurt and frozen treats in general, but right now I'm partial to a snack called Bing-sa (or Bing-su). It has millions of variations but my favorite is the very classic version- milk and condensed milk frozen and finely shaved, topped with sweetened adzuki beans and mochi. Instant bliss in the heat of summer!

2:47 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home