Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Monday, May 23, 2011

Ivory Soap Plus Ma’Moul Cookies Equals Love: Gaultier’s Fleur du Male

By Marla

Francis Kurkdjian designed, and Gaultier launched, Fleur du Male back in 2007. It was a talked about launch because it was quite floral and rather sweet for a modern man’s fougere. But this was before the Recession of 2008, and perhaps men were feeling more decadent and innovative than austere and traditional. I remember trying it back then, along with some male friends. We all liked it, but most liked it better on me than on the guys. I’m glad it wasn’t released as a unisex fragrance, though, because the marble-white male torso bottle is one of the most charming and collectible I’ve ever seen. I suppose they could have released it in two bottles, an abstract female to match the male? Ah, well, time passes, and suddenly last month, I wanted a bottle to call my own.

Fleur du Male is technically a fougere, in other words, a balance of herbal/cool notes and coumarinic/warm notes. In this case, petigrain and straight-up coumarin battle it out while orange blossom warms up the center. It’s a sweet concoction, but not overly so. Some men get an animalic note when they wear it, but I do not. There is a hint of lavender or “fern accord”; it’s very subtle. I also get some nice hints of soapy/white musk/washed laundry notes in the drydown. But notes and categories aside, Fleur du Male smells to my nose like Ma’moul cookies (from Lebanon and Armenia), and Ivory soap! Ma’moul are delicious round cookies filled with buttery-sweet semolina, dates or ground nuts, drenched in honey and orange-blossom water, and dusted with powdered sugar. They are indescribably fragrant and tasty. I can’t help but think Francis Kurkdjian was thinking about these cookies while he composed Fleur du Male, maybe he was really hungry in his lab and started reminiscing about them? The basic theme of FdM was further worked out and elaborated upon in his beautiful APOMs for Him and Her, which feature similar notes and focus on sweet orange blossom..

I can’t say this is my favorite fougere on a man, but I have been wearing it with abandon. There have been rumors that Gaultier might discontinue this gem, but I can’t find anything substantial to back that up. Just in case, I’d recommend that interested ladies grab a bottle soon; it’s found in all the usual places for under $70 for 2.5 ounces. FdM is strong, so those 2.5 ounces will last quite a while. And do beware, there is a Cologne version in a frosted white bottle with a silver sprayer which is supposed to be very different from the original. For purposes of this review, make sure you have the Eau de Toilette.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger arch.memory said...

I love Fleur du Male: from name, to packaging, to smell, of course. I never noticed the ma'moul connection before, but I think you're right on: orange-blossom water and powdered sugar! I was actually speaking to my mother on the phone today, and she said she's sending me fig ma'moul from Lebanon with a friend. I've never had those before, but I can't wait to try them! And I'd love to smell what Mr. Kurkdjian could make out of that!!

12:16 AM EDT  
Blogger Katie Puckrik said...

Marla, one of the delights in reading perfume writing is when people make scent connections that had never occurred to you before, and click on that "ah-ha!" lightbulb. Thanks for your ma'moul insight.

2:20 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a beautiful bottle! I never tried Fleur du Male, but your description sends me to the store for sure...lovely review, Marla, thank you!

5:05 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Ashraf Osman,
I'm with you on that, I think FK would create something wonderful!And I wish my mom was sending me some ma'maoul this week.
Enjoy them!
-Marla

7:02 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Katie, if you're near a Middle Eastern bakery, you can nibble some ma'moul while wearing FdM!
-Marla

7:03 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Birgit, I think you'd like FdM, it's gourmand without being too sweet. I don't do well with super-sweet fragrances, and FdM is just right for me.
-Marla

7:03 AM EDT  
Blogger olenska said...

Oh, God, I love ma'moul, and curse Jean Paul Gaultier for speaking directly to my dessert brain. :)

7:55 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

olenska, this definitely speaks to the dessert brain, but not in a way that adds calories! ;-)
-Marla

8:05 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home