Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Spectacular Success? Prends Moi Tested


If you have missed last Saturday’s post, you missed getting introduced to the world’s first slimming fragrance – Prends Moi (Take me!) by Veld’s.

I selflessly and under severe personal hardship, tested this scent over the past week.

Why the hardship you ask? Well, it is not easy to be restricted to just one perfume if you are a card-carrying Perfumista, but being restricted to one aquatic floral that broadcasts grinning and mindless happiness to the world at considerable volume, is especially hard for this misanthropic grinch here.

So knowing I would be ready to severely harm somebody before the week was out, I agreed with myself to modify the test situation a bit. I would wear Prends Moi during the day, when its advertised appetite-suppressing abilities were most needed anyway, and come evening I was free to wear whatever I pleased. Wisely I got my heaviest ambers out of my closet in advance to be able to counteract the relentless good cheer of Prends Moi the minute the sun went down (or my children went down, whatever happened first).

So I struggled my way through my days, teeth set on edge whenever I caught a whiff of myself. I can say one thing about Prends Moi, it really lasts. As every perfume we do not particularly love, this one proved to be the master of tenacity. (An aside: Does that mean that anyone hating Chanel 28 La Pausa for instance, is able to make it last for 24 hours?)

But what about its slimming abilities?

I did eat less. I swear, I really did. I lost 1.5 kilograms this week. But to tell you the truth, I think it was because Prends Moi distracted me so much, I forgot about eating, my appetite went down as my blood pressure went up. I did not eat, but I certainly did not feel healthier because of it.

I’ll happily stay as I am, if I am allowed to not take Take me! any more. The feeling of well-being and contentment Prends Moi is said to induce, only arrived for me when I showered it off and delighted and indulged in the options of my perfume closet at night.

Long live the heavy amber!

Labels: ,

22 Comments:

Blogger Carrie Meredith said...

Long Live Amber! *cheers wildly for dark, brooding perfumes*

My prediction was correct, dear Birgit. I thought you'd hate it so much it would put you off food, and that's what happened. I am the perfume oracle, put in a quarter and I'll tell you if another fruity floral is in your future!

9:29 AM EDT  
Blogger lovethescents said...

What????? I am very surprised! 1.5 kg is quite a bit! I'm struggling here....I am now 6 months post partum and am having a much more difficult time getting back into shape than I did following my first pregnancy. I do exercise and try to eat properly, but these last 5 kg are a nightmare. I'm seriously considering this fragrant monstrosity.....help!

9:36 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hahah! Like Carrie said: you hated it so much it put you off food, LOL! You really took one for the team, dear, B., so thank you.

HOpefully, you can put this 'fume behind you, and never think of it again :)

10:13 AM EDT  
Blogger Onyxode said...

At first I thought total quackery. But..... What is the appetite suppresent? Does it really have an odor? So, do the gourmands make one fat? If so, they'll end up being outlawed!

10:25 AM EDT  
Blogger Ines said...

I'm thinking, I should try this. Even if it works in a different way than it's advertised, but in any case, losing 1,5 kg is very good result for one week.
Although, I'm a bit scared it might set off my dormant anger at the world around me forcing me to smell what you described as not a particularly interesting type of perfume for me...

10:49 AM EDT  
Blogger JoanElaine said...

Oh, B! I would not have survived this trial. I think you deserve some kind of perfume medal of valor.
An aquatic floral fragrance is not my cup of tea but besides that, I keep my distance from anything that puts me off food. If I don't eat, heads roll!

11:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carrie,
you were right! I am not a suitable test subject it seems. ;)

2:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lovethescents,
before you seriously consider investing in this perfume, let me tell you such weight fluctuations are very common for me, I am a little like the moon that way, up and down, thankfully only on a small scale. So those 1.5 kg might have come off with or without that scent.
If you like how it smells, by all means maybe it helps, but if not, I don't think there is a point in suffering. :)

2:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dee,
It is behind me alright, no more Prends Moi!
Now I am craving gourmand fragrances with a vengeance, lol.

2:27 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oxynode,
in Prends Moi it is supposedly an ingredient called Betaphroline that should do the trick, but it has no odor, the perfume itself should work by euphorizing you while the betaphroline goes to work. In theory, mind you!
And I don't think gourmands make you fat, just look at Pierre Guillaume of Parfumerie Generale! ;)

2:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ines,
if you love the fragrance, perfect. Then no harm is done and maybe it works for you...but watch out for that dormant anger, Prends Moi had a very aggravating effect on me.

2:33 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

JoanElaine,
thank you, I feel very heroic! ;)
The only good thing was it took the thinking out of my mornings, no sotd search, just Take me and go! But I am glad to have all the options of my collection again.

2:37 PM EDT  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Well, how funny that this scent worked in an inverse way to the intended feel good vibe it was supposed to induce! There is perhaps a parallel with those diets where you combine very specific types of food - it is not the combination in itself that makes the diet work but the fact that you are so darn restricted in the types of foods you can eat overall. : - )

I wonder how much weight you might have lost if you hadn't allowed yourself a SOTE....!

And your La Pausa question is a profound one: does dislike of a scent actively prolong the life of even the most fleeting fragrances? And would I lose weight with Narcisse Noire instead of this cheery number? I imagine I might, not that I should, probably.

2:47 PM EDT  
Blogger Undina said...

B, I think your weight loss might be explained by not getting all those additional calories from your usual heavy ambers ;)

3:26 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vanessa,
you shouldn't loose weight!!! But you know that.
Maybe you are onto something, losing weight with perfumes we don't like. Miel de Bois would be a perfect choice to stop the whole family from eating. :)

3:30 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Undina,
lol! :D
you hit the nail on the head!

3:31 PM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

What are your favorite heavy ambers??

4:04 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lang,
Frapin 1697, AG Ambre Fetiche, SL Ambre Sultan, Armani Privė Ambre Orient, Dior Mitzah, JHAG Calamity J, are my favorites. :)

4:11 PM EDT  
Blogger Flora said...

Yikes! Aquatic is the scary word for me here, I can't imagine wearing this for a whole WEEK. Would have put me off my food too!

Good thing ambers really don't cause weight gain, as I am currently obsessed with Ambre Narguile. All that stewed fruit could get pretty caloric. ;-)

12:33 AM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Donna,
okay, it was only for five days, but that was enough!!! ;)
Ah, Ambre Narguilé, it would really be fattening, but I would use it anyway, it is so good.

2:41 AM EDT  
Anonymous marina said...

where we can find this Perfume????

4:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marina,
it is available on the website of Veld's, along with a store locator as far as I remember. http://www.velds.fr/en/
Good luck! :)

12:27 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home