Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Sunday, December 04, 2011

Foodie Sunday: My Christmas wIsh list and and a wonderfully scented prize draw!

bucketBY BETH

It’s funny. I looked around just the other day and I was harvesting fresh tomatoes from my garden and lounging around with a healthyvodka and tonic in the hammock. Yesterday the snow was flying and I realized that it was December! Time really does fly when you’re having fun or as my husband the happy punster likes to say, “Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana”. Sorry, but it is Foodie Sunday!

This is the time of year when I begin to make lists of all sorts. Cooking lists, gift lists, donation lists, card lists, it’s pretty endless. But I’ve also learned over the years to make my own wish list. So here they are in no particular order, some of the Foodie and fun fantasies that I’m longing to find under the tree this year!

ultrbrutSo, what would the holidays be without a fabulous glass of champagne? Through the early 80’s and until the late 90’s my bubbles of choice were Laurent Perrier’s ultra orgasmic Ultra Brut and then this offering just disappeared. I was inconsolable, I used to refer to this particular bottling as drinking an elixir distilled from icy cold angels breath. Not too sweet, not too dry, not too yeasty, just perfect because it has absolutely no sugar dosage. The Ultra Brut is perfect to drink for almost any occasion, it marries well with classic French dishes like Dover Sole or Russian delights like roasted sturgeon and root vegetables. It wants to be paired with chilled fresh oysters and it loves my cut crystal flutes,which allow the bubbles to dance up and down the graceful stems like the sugarplum fairies in Tchaikovsky’s Nutcracker Suite! Just the other day on a whim I sent to the Laurent Perrier site and lo and behold, someone sound the trumpets because my beloved Ultra Brut has returned! You don’t want to miss this…it’s wonderful. Trust me, buy a bottle and tell me what you think. As for me, well I’m asking Santa for a case of it. Luxurious? Yes! Indulgent? Absolutely! But I like to think I’m worth it and so is my white truffle scented popcorn!

Saint-Louis-Bubbles-Champagne-flutes,c01069Anytime that I’m thinking about champagne, I’m thinking about fine crystal to serve it in. I have beautiful Baccarat stems, but I’d love a couple of St. Louis Crystals beautiful “Bubbles” flutes to serve my Ultra Brut in. For any not familiar with St. Louis , they are the oldest Cristallerie in Europe, founded in France in 1586. These stems are contemporary yet timeless, each rendered injewel tones of cobalt, green , purple, red and a seductive smoky gray and the stems are beautifully crafted and layered bubbles that form a perfect anchor for the graceful bowl. Totally elegant and gorgeous!

essences2011 was the year that I learned to cook with essential oils and I fell in love with the breathtaking way in which just a drop or too or a wonderful essence could enhance the flavor of my foods and elevate them to a level of brightness that I’d never experienced before. Essential oil of dill took my potato soup to a whole new richness and essential oil of ginger and roasted carrots? Sublime! How to use them in dessert? The possibilities are endless and I now see that my favorite Jeni’s ice cream recipes have been immortalized in a cookbook. The best part? The essences that they use are made by Mandy Aftel and there’s a delightful set available that I’m hoping to find in my stocking this year, 6 beautiful little bottles (Clove, Coriander, Lavender, Peppermint, ylang ylang and wild sweetorange) just ready to make my ice creams and crème brulee’ giggle with flavor. All of Mandy’s delightful chefs’ essences and absolutes can be found on her website so you can handpick them for YOUR favorite chefs!

JuraS70I have espresso flavored dreams…I really do. I love the aroma and comfort of a steaming mug of cinnamon coffee first thing in the early hours of the morning when the rest of the house is asleep and it’s just me and my laptop spending some quality time together. Recently I spent a week in Boulder with my family and we stayed at my brother and sister in laws gorgeous new home that they’ve built along the Boulder foothills. This house was beautiful with windows all around and and every morning I’d wake up during sunrise when Carlos the rooster would begin to crow. It was the most relaxing week. I’d walk into the kitchen to find Jim already sitting at the table with his computer and he get up and make me a fabulous cup of hazelnut coffee using their Jura espresso machine. I was hooked! The thought of making a wonderful cup of espresso at home sounds wonderful to me! When I figured out what both of us spent everyday on our assorted latte’s and cappuccinos I was flabbergasted. Even the most expensive machine would be paid for in less than a year’s time. I’ve settled on the Jura Impressa C5 machine with Dual frothers available form Sur La Table. The only downside is that I may never leave the house again!

One of the things that I adore are excellent Olive oils and vinegar’s. When I was last in New York I discovered that one of my favorite restaurants, the Fig and Olive sold one of the finest white truffle infused oils that I’ve ever tasted. But they also sell oils infused with blood orange, meyer lemon and basil that are equallywonderful and a truffled mustard that is to die for and a delicious tomato and basil spread that will leave the warm taste of summer lingering for hours on your lips. In fact, everything that they use on their delicious crostini’s are available for purchase so I think that a gift certificate could be in order. Oh Joy!

Because I spent my entire career in the tabletop and entertaining business old habits die hard. To me presentation is everything and I don’t have a champagne bucket! Well, I did but in a moment of artistic frenzy I turned it into a container for a spider plant and ruined it. So now that I’m going to have my beloved Ultra Brut again I’m going to need a new one and I’ve found the perfect candidate, a Mauviel hammered copper beauty from Williams Sonoma that can chill two bottles side by side and look absolutely rustic and glorious while doing so. If you’ve never used a champagne bucket I encourage you to do so. You can find them everywhere at very reasonable prices and they make your presentation so very glamorous. A bottle of bubbly chilling gracefully in a silver or crystal bucket with two pretty glasses and a few lovely hors d oeuvre’s is always in my home a prelude to a kiss…….

candlesI love Macarons, those delightfully French fantasies of perfect almond meringue with fillings that range from decadent to otherworldly. My favorites come from Laduree in Paris and now I’ve discovered that they are making beautiful candles that are scented just like their pastries. They are beautiful, poured into containers of spun sugar colors emblazoned with white cameos and flavors like violet, chocolate orange and candied fruit. There are at least 20 to choose from and they’re all wonderful and there are sets of two and three just in case you’re like me and can’t make up your mind! I’m truly addicted to these so hopefully Santa will take pity on me this year….

While I’m thinking about sweets I’d love a box of the deliciously soft, unbelievably sexy, seriously sugary Marron’s Glaces from La Maison du Chocolat. If you’ve never tasted a Marron, well you’re in for a treat. They are incredible, chestnuts from Turin that have been gently simmered in sugar water in a candying process over a period of about 5 days, so that the liquids in the chestnuts are gradually replaced by the sugar. These traditional French Favorites are the most perfect treat that I know and I like to buy a box and eat them one or two at a timefrom Christmas eve until New Years Day. I do not share these (even with Jim!) so you’ll have to buy your own box but I promise you that they are worth it.

CHAN138312.18There are many more things on my wish list, like a vintage copy of The Cleveland Orchestra performing The Nutcracker Suite , The “Essentielle de Chanel “ makeup palette, a huge bag of Laurie Stern of Velvet and Sweet Peas seriously potent catnip for my fabulous felines and a huge bottle of Roxana Villas utterly phenomenal perfume “To Bee” which turns into a sumptuous and sensually honeyed feast on my skin.

Mostly though what I’m wishing for is that you my dear readers have the holiday season of your dreams. Why don’t you let me know what’s on your wish list this year and I promise that if I see your secret Santa I’ll let him know! Send me your favorite Christmas recipe for a chance to have a HUGE holiday grab bag of perfume samples chosen by yours truly. (The winnerfrom my Thanksgiving draw was Janet who mentioned chestnuts, my absolutelyfavorite ingredient to use during this time of year. Janet please send yoursnail mail address to Marina and I’ll send out your gift right away!)

Labels: ,

26 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

My very favorite... easy and incredibly delicious. Good without the sauce, but heavenly with the sauce. Never fails to impress!

Cranberry Cake

3 T. butter or margarine
1 cup sugar
3 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 cup milk
2 cups cranberries (raw)

Beat together all ingredients except cranberries. Fold in berries. Spread batter evenly in a greased 8-9 inch square pan. Bake 35-40 minutes at 350 degrees. Serve warm with butter sauce.

(You can double the recipe and put into a bundt pan. Bake one hour.)

Sauce

1 cup sugar
1 T. flour
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup cream
1 T. vinegar
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients except vanilla. Heat over high heat. Add vanilla and serve over cake.

12:54 AM EST  
Blogger woodgirl said...

This is an old family recipe that came from my Great-Grandmother who immigrated from Germany in the 1870s. We called them "Roll-em-ups", but I believe the traditional German name is Beef Roulades. My Mom would make them ahead of time & freeze, then heat them up in the gravy.

Ingredients:

3 pounds beef round steak*
All-purpose flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 large onions, cut in wedges
6 bacon slices
Vegetable oil
Water

* Can substitute flank steak.

Preparation:

Cut steaks into strips measuring 3 to 4 inches wide. On a floured surface, coat steak strips with flour. Using a meat mallet, pound meat until thin, approximately 1/8 inches (be careful not to pound holes in the meat).

Season each steak strip with salt and pepper. Put an onion wedge and 1/4 bacon slice onto the top of each steak strip, roll up (jelly-roll style) and secure with toothpicks.

Heat oil in large frying pan over medium-high heat. Add roulades and brown thoroughly on all sides. As each roulade is browned, remove from frying pan and transfer onto a large plate.

When all roulades are browned and removed from the pan, add water to the pan drippings and let simmer 1 minute (scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan).

In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, place roulades and cover with the pan liquid; add water to just cover the roulades. Simmer gently 2 hours or until tender.

When done, remove from heat and let cool. At this point, refrigerate the roulades in the liquid. NOTE: This is an important step, as the roulades gain more flavor if left sitting in the liquid for 1 day.

When ready to serve, place the roulades, with the liquid, back in the oven or on the stove. Using medium to medium low heat, gently reheat the roulades. Once heated and ready to serve, remove the roulades from the liquid and place on a large platter.

Make the gravy: Add enough flour to thicken. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened and bubbly, about 10 to 15 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Remove gravy from heat and transfer into a large serving bowl. Serve with roulades.

Makes 6 to 8 servings.

11:52 AM EST  
Blogger Janet said...

I love your list Beth, the Champagne sounds wonderful.

Gingerbread People Cookies

3 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter (room temperature, softened)
1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
1 Tbsp ground ginger
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
Optional raisins, chocolate chips, candy pieces, frosting

1:08 PM EST  
Anonymous Joan said...

Corn Pudding with Brown Sugar Crust

3 eggs
2 cups of corn
1/4 cup flour
2 cups cream
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
Pepper
Nutmeg
Baking pan
9x12 casserole dish

Fill the baking pan with an inch of water and put in in oven, preheated to 325. Grease the casserole dish with butter.

Beat the eggs, mix the corn, eggs, pepper, and flour in.

Melt the butter, then add the butter and cream. Add the brown sugar.

Put it all in the casserole dish. Cook for about an hour and 15 minutes, or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.

P.S. If you like brut, then you'd love Black Velvet. Mix equal parts of brut and Guinness.

2:01 PM EST  
Blogger mandy said...

Thank you so much Beth – such an honor! What a great idea for a list - you make terrific suggestions, and I’m thrilled to have my Chef’s Essences featured here. It’s so nice of you to share with your readers about how using them is both simple and almost magical. Your recipes and tips are great, I really appreciate your kind attention so very much. xo Mandy

6:54 PM EST  
Anonymous DinaC said...

My husband introduced me to Laurent Perrier Ultra Brut on the night we got engaged. He learned about it when he was stationed in Germany in the USAF during the 80s. He had saved a bottle for a special occasion, and that's when he cracked it open. Since then, LP has accompanied many of our New Year's Eves, etc. Glad to know that the Ultra Brut is available again! He'll be thrilled.

Here's a favorite Sweet Potato Casserole that we serve anywhere from Thanksgiving to Easter:

Casserole:
1/2 c. soft butter
1/2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. mashed, cooked sweet potatoes, fresh or canned,drained
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)

Topping:
1 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. butter
1/2 c. flour
1 c. chopped nuts (pecans are best)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix casserole ingredients and put in 1-1/2 quart casserole. Mix topping with fork and spread evenly across the top. Bake for 45 minutes.

H

7:29 PM EST  
Blogger Norma said...

Oh, my favorite Christmas recipe...that's tough. Here are a couple I love, one is really easy and the other my favorite Christmas dinner:

Cheese crisps

finely shredded/grated parmesan cheese
baker's parchment or nonstick foil

Heat oven to 325. Put little circles of cheese on the parchment - keep about 1" between crisps, as you want them to not touch when done. Bake for about 5 minutes, let cool enough to remove to rack to cool completely. If you like more kick, you can add cayenne pepper or (my favorite) powdered chipotle before baking. Easy, and fantastic.

Pounded pork capone

1 pork loin
pepperoncini peppers (sweet spicy Italian pepper rings, in jar)
sliced provalone, about 1/4#
sliced sandwich pepperoni, about 1/4#
black olives, small can, sliced
cooking twine

Preheat oven 350. Butterfly out the loin to make it thin and flat for rolling.
Line a cookie sheet with nonstick foil or a silpat mat.
Lay loin out on the mat, and spread olives and sliced peppers over in a thin layer. On top of this, spread the provalone, then on top of that the pepperoni. Start rolling the loin like a jelly roll - you should end up with a swirled package that has all ingredients in each layer. Tie well with cooking twine.

Before baking, I like to coat with good marinara sauce. Then I bake for about an hour. Keep an eye on it in case it needs re-coating with sauce. If you are not going to use sauce, you can wrap the entire thing with nonstick foil and this helps keep the cheese from melting out.

To serve, cut pinwheel slice for each guest. It's really pretty and also tasty.

7:38 PM EST  
Anonymous BuyWoWAccount said...

I'm not entering the draw, but so glad to see this recipes on the comments. Thanks for sharing guys!

Buy WoW Account

9:01 PM EST  
Blogger Liz said...

Woodgirl-
So funny you mention rouladen! This is one of my husband's favorite traditional German dishes... both of his grandmothers are from Germany and we're having this dish this Christmas! His grandmother also puts pickles and mustard inside... it's quite the dish. :)

9:51 PM EST  
Blogger samberg said...

I made this yesterday and it was delicious.

MULLED WINE

1 bottle of robust red wine
1 large orange
2 shots of brandy
4 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise
(optional) brown sugar or honey to taste

Pour wine into crock pot (or saucepan) set to low.

Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice from half into the wine, then make thick slices of the other half and add.

Combine all the other ingredients and simmer until hot (don't boil), adding the optional sweetener last.

Pour into warmed mugs through small strainer to remove pulp and spice chunks.

9:57 PM EST  
Blogger Michael said...

My pecan pie is usually the dish that gets the best reception for the holidays. I used a simple family recipe and embellished it a bit.

For the crust: (Makes 2 shells)

2 ½ cups all purpose unbleached flour
1 tsp sea salt
2 tsp granulated sugar
½ tsp ground ginger root
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup unsalted butter, very cold and chopped into small pieces
¼ cup cold water
1/8 tsp tonka bean extract

Mix the dry ingredients together in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the butter is incorporated. The flour will slightly clump, but easily fall apart. With the food processor on, pour in the water and tonka extract in a slow stream. The mix will start to stick together and form a ball. At that point, remove from the food processor and divide in half. Roll out and form to pie pan. When I roll out the dough, I will usually do it between two pieces of plastic wrap, it avoids the mess of flouring a surface and the cleanup after.

For the filling:

4 large eggs
½ cup granulated sugar
1 cup dark karo syrup
½ cup light karo syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp hazelnut extract
1 ½ cup chopped pecans
½ tsp ground cinnamon
Pecan halves, enough to top pie (about 4 oz)

Beat eggs and sugar together until combined. Mix in vanilla and hazelnut extracts. Add light and dark karo syrups and whisk until combined. Stir in chopped pecans and cinnamon, then pour into pie crust. Bake 55-60 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack.

10:09 PM EST  
Blogger Michael said...

Sorry, missed the Bake at 350 F. part.

10:11 PM EST  
Anonymous Theresa W. said...

I would love to be entered!

This is a recipe for roasted potatoes and garlic(SO good and goey after roasting) adapted from the Pioneer Woman that I love to make. Perfect for the holidays because it's so homey and hearty.

Roasted Garlic & New Potatoes

20 small to medium new potatoes
5 to 7 whole heads of garlic
1/3 to 1/2 cup olive oil
1/3 to 1/2 cup dry white wine
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
herbs of choice--fresh rosemary or Herbes de Provence

Quarter new potatoes and set on a large rimmed baking sheet. Lop off the very top of each garlic head and arrange throughout the potatoes. Drizzle olive oil over the tops of the garlic and all over potatoes; do the same with the wine. Generously salt and pepper potatoes and garlic. Add herbs. Toss potatoes to coat. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and bake at 375 for 45 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking for 20 to 30 minutes until nice and golden. You can then pop the roasted garlic out of the "shell" and mix it with the potatoes in a bowl, or you can just dive in and scoop them up off the baking sheet - it's your call!

10:13 PM EST  
Anonymous Jiyin said...

My family loves roasted carrots, and they're so healthy and easy to make!

Sometimes you can get those multi-colored carrots -- orange, red, yellow and white -- but any carrots will do. Clean and trim the carrots, and slice them in half if they're very thick. Put them in a pan and toss with plenty of olive oil and a handful of thyme leaves. Roast in the oven at 400 for about 45 minutes, turning the carrots every fifteen minutes.

Thank you for the draw!

2:31 AM EST  
Anonymous sybil said...

Meringue mushrooms are a staple of our holidy. They're easy, keep well and look crazy fun.

Just make your favorite "hard" meringue recipe (not the kind for the top of pies) and use a pastry bag with a wide (3/8 inch) or so tip to shape the stems by squeezing out a bit and then pulling straight up, and the caps by holding down and squeezing. Make a sheet of stems first and then a sheet or 2 of caps. Use your finger to dab water on the peaks of the caps, just a little, to flatten it out so it looks nice and mushroomy. Then sprinkle them lightly with unsweetened cocoa thru a fine sifter, just a little so they look dusted and dirty.

After they've dried out, take a small sharp knife and make a hole in the caps. Dip the end of the stem into melted chocolate and glue the stem and cap together. Let dry and keep sealed until ready to use. You can make them any size from bitty to shiitake, and they all bake on the same sheet. It sounds hard, but it's not, once you figure out the pastry bag.

6:42 AM EST  
Blogger Beth Schreibman Gehring said...

Oh my word! You are all making me so hungry! These recipes are fabulous! Thank you... I can't wait to try them all!

7:48 AM EST  
Blogger rosarita said...

Hope I'm not too late....this is the recipe my mother put together whenever she needed a quick & fabulous holiday treat.

Ellen's Toffee Bars

Lay out 24 graham crackers in a well buttered jelly roll pan. In a saucepan, melt together:
1 C. butter
1 C. brown sugar
1 C. coarsely chopped pecans
Bring to a boil & boil two minutes only. Pour over graham crackers and bake @ 350 for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and pour 1 to 3 packages chocolate bits evenly over the top. Let melt, then spread. Cut while warm.
(this is the recipe as given to me. The choc chips I prefer are good ole semi sweet, 12 oz pkg size)

8:21 AM EST  
Anonymous Maureen said...

Pizzelles
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup melted butter
1 tablespoon anise extract
2 tablespoons baking powder
4 eggs, sl. beaten
handful anise seeds
confectioners sugar to sprinkle

spray iron with cooking spray once.
pre-heat iron.
mix all ingredients except last 2 with beater.
toss in hanful of seeds & stir with big spoon.
drop by teaspoonfuls on to iron. cook 1 minute.
place hot pizzelles on wax paper on table flat.
when cooled sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

9:55 AM EST  
Blogger dremybluz said...

My favorite recipe for the holidays is Fish House Punch:

2 c sugar
4 1/4 c fresh lemon juice
1 qt. dark spiced rum
1.5 qts cognac vsop or vs
2 c peach brandy
2 bottles asti spumante or champagne
4 c sliced fresh peaches

jello ring ice mold:
1/2 c lemon juice
1 c sliced peaches
1 c maraschino cherry halves
1 c thinly sliced lemons

10:25 AM EST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The holiday drink around here is the wisky sour:

•1 1/2 oz whiskey
•1 1/2 oz lemon juice
•3/4 oz sugar syrup
•maraschino cherry for garnish

Shake away and serve...

--AnnieA

4:38 PM EST  
Anonymous maitreyi1978 said...

Simple is better for me. Buy some supermarket egg nog and add the best rum you can afford to it. Much easier than making it yourself.

3:22 PM EST  
Anonymous Isayah said...

I always have a big succes with this salad on Christmas buffets, event kids like it :

Love salad

2 cups cooked basmati rice cooled
( you can cook it the previous day)
1/2 cup sprouted beans
1/2 bag of baby spinach (around 2 cups)
3 celey branches cut the way you feel
3 parsley branches minced
1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced
1 cup green pepper cut small
1/2 cup green onions sliced
1 cup cashews
1/3 cup sultana raisins

Toss with this sauce

1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive or sesame oil
1 finely cut garlic clove

Let it stand for one hour and go have a drink with your friends and family

8:05 PM EST  
Blogger rightshopping86 said...

Very Good website. I like the contents. From www.rightshopping.in

6:21 AM EST  
Blogger The Gastronomic Goddess said...

Love your post! That bubbly sounds heaaaaavenly :-)

My Xmas recipe I will share is making your own vanilla extract that will make all holiday cooking an baking taste spectacular - and you can brag about and get impressive comments from others about your prowess in the kitchen. All you need is about 8 weeks until you can use it:

3 vanilla beans, preferably Madagascar Bourbon variety
1 cup vodka (look for Polish brands that state they are made from potato rather than distillers from grain, that way your gluten intolerant friends can also enjoy it)
A jar and screw lid

Cut beans in half to make 2 short halves for each one, then carefully split each half lengthwise without cutting all the way through the other side (basically, butterflying), so the seeds can soak but the bean half stays intact. Stick em in jar, cover with the cup of vodka, screw on lid, give a few shakes, and set it in a cool dark place for 8 weeks to brew. Once it twice a week, give it a good shake. You can scrape the seeds from the spent beans with the tip of a paring knife and pulse in a food processor with granulated sugar to make vanilla sugar, when your extract is all gone. :-) Enjoy!

4:23 PM EST  
Blogger Leslie said...

Everyone has to try this one- easy to make, even easier if you use a prepared crust- and a huge crowd-pleaser...
"Ultimate Pumpkin Pie"


Crust
1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons whipping cream

Filling
3/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon packed golden brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon (generous) salt
1 16-ounce can solid pack pumpkin
3/4 cup whipping cream
1/2 cup sour cream
3 large eggs, beaten to blend


1/4 cup apricot preserves
3 tablespoons crystallized ginger (optional)

PreparationFor crust:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Blend first 3 ingredients in processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream and process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball, flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 15 minutes.

Roll out dough on floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang under. Make cut in crust edge at 1/2 inch intervals. Bend alternate edge pieces inward. Freeze 15 minutes.

Line crust with foil, pressing firmly. Bake until sides are set, about 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake crust until pale brown, about 10 minutes more. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.

Spread preserves over crust; pour in filling. Bake until filling puffs at edges and center is almost set, about 55 minutes. Cool on rack. Cover; chill until cold. (Can be made 1 day ahead.)

For filling:
Using whisk, mix first 6 ingredients in bowl until no lumps remain. Blend in pumpkin, whipping cream, sour cream and eggs.

Spread preserves over crust; pour in filling. Bake until filling puffs at edges and center is almost set, about 55 minutes. Cool on rack. Cover; chill until cold. Sprinkle crystallized ginger on top for an extra-special final touch (Can be made 1 day ahead.)

1:01 PM EST  
Anonymous Sujaan said...

My husband is English and one of his favorite dishes, from when he was growing up in Liverpool, is so easy to make! It's called, Turnips and Carrots. You cook them, mash them, add salt, pepper, butter, and you're done! Lol 
Here's a proper recipe below. Just recently though, his Mum told me she actually uses rutabagas instead. Go figure. Try them both and see which you like better.

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mashed-Carrots-and-Turnips

10:30 AM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home