Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Wednesday, December 07, 2011

The Warm & Fuzzies

Well, it's that time of the year.  The overnight lows last night (Tuesday the 6th) were a toasty 41 degrees and the lows will be around that all week.  I know that a lot of you live in places where it's a lot colder, but one of the facts about living in LA is that insulation is practically non-existant on most older places like mine.  So it's get-out-the-bankies time at my house.

The plus side of this is that it's also get out the heavy-hitters time.  This sort of weather is perfect for something like Ambre Sultan, which is practically a campfire in and of itself.

I've been finding myself reaching for Guerlain Spiriteuse Double Vanille a lot.  I wrote about this time last year:

"It's also one of the truest vanillas I have ever experienced in perfume: it is remarkably like a home-made vanilla extract, which is merely a pod and really good vodka that is left to sit. Frankincense, pepper, and rose flavor it and when I wear it I can't help but when I am alone stick my nose under my sweater and breathe deeply. If Nigella Lawson had come up with a perfume, this could well have been it"

It's pricey at $225 for 2.5 oz, but that bottle will last all eternity.  It's a Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman, where I purchased mine several years ago.

Please tell me in the comments what you're reaching for these days.

Image credit: Dean & Deluca

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Anonymous ghostranchguy said...

Rubaiyat (dawn spencer hurwitz).. profound spice and smoke.. a gorgeous delirious bake off on warmed skin.. (liking it very much)

4:59 PM EST  
Blogger odonata9 said...

I'm in San Diego, so we have been chilly here too. My house is similarly uninsulated and it's even gone into the 30s down here at night! So I wore SDV yesterday and Ambre Narguile today. There isn't much time in SoCal that those 2 don't overwhelm.

5:03 PM EST  
Blogger Tammy said...

It was 34 in Huntington Beach the other morning, and not only do we have no insulation, we also don't have any weather stripping around the doors or the single paned windows!

I am rotating my marinating between Poivre, Nuit de Noel, Fifi Chachnil and TPIM.

I smell fabulous!

9:44 PM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

ghostranchguy-

Must try that one. DSH is a master..

12:04 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

odanata9

Yep. The office I worked in was like a sub-zero, so with judicious application I could get away with it though.

12:05 AM EST  
Blogger tmp00 said...

Tammy-

Wow! Yikes! I've had nights like that here.

I'd rather have that than heat though. I can turn on the heat. That day it hit 116 downtown was not a happy one...

12:07 AM EST  
Anonymous lady jane grey said...

I live in Vienna, Austria - so yes, we have real ugly winters here. And I don't like them much.
But I did love SDV - the only parfume in my collection I managed to use up a full bottle and bought a 2nd one some 3 years ago. But sigh, it completely changed and now it smells like sweetened mimosa oil, the rhum and earthy vanilla (both reasons I loved the scent that much...) disappeared.
So I reach for Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille these days.

2:37 AM EST  
Blogger marsha said...

I also love SDV, it's one of the few that I can actually smell the next day. I also pull out Botrytis, which is a wonderful autumn scent, 10 Corso Como, and Youth Dew bath oil (which I apply with a tooth pick).

9:09 AM EST  
Blogger Abigail said...

I'm pulling out the bankies here, too.

Lately I've been craving all sorts of heavier vanillas and orietals. Right now I'm wearing Dior Mitzah. Last night it was CK Obsession. Yesterday (day) it was ELdO Noel au Balcon + AG Vanille Exquise. Problem is, many of these are making me hungry...

12:56 PM EST  
Blogger Nancy said...

Finally got a cold freeze here and I have been wearing the new Thierry Mugler gourmand scent of Angel. WOW.
Taste of ANGEL.

2:57 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home