Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, June 28, 2012

On The Cheap: Knize Ten

By Tom

The other day I was in Neiman Marcus and gave myself a dose of Clive Christian C (review will be up on Perfume Posse) I concluded that while I like it, I don't think anything's really going to make me get a bottle, primarily since I own a bottle of Knize Ten, which is eerily similar and C is about 5 times it's price.

Knize Ten was created in 1925 and is a classic leather fragrance created for a classic men's fashion house. It starts with a bright citrus/rosemary burst, but almost immediately moves into leather: a balsamic, slightly boozy one, as if some of the content of Mssr's flask spilled out onto his saddle while making that last jump. At it's heart it adds in patchouli and musk, as well as a truly lovely ambergris. It's a fragrance that makes me feel dressed up, even though I hardly ever am. It's something that a woman could easily wear as well: I can imagine that it would be gorgeous in that Katherine Hepburn in pants sort of way- there are just enough softness in the spices in the flowers and spices to keep it gender-neutral.

Oh, I'll admit that Clive Christian C for Men is definitely a richer scent and smells much more expensive. But I find the vintage character of Knize Ten far more to my taste. In the same way if I was going to drive a Rolls Royce I'd rather have one from the 60's than a new one. The new one says "I have money". The vintage one says "I have taste".

Notes (from Luckyscent): Lemon, bergamot, orange, petitgrain, rosemary, geranium, rose, cedar, orris, carnation, cinnamon, orange blossom, sandalwood, leather, musk, moss, patchouli, ambergris, castoreum and vanilla.

Available at Luckyscent, $70 for 50ML. My sample is from my personal bottle.

Image: Wikipedia Commons

4 Comments:

Anonymous lynnette said...

i agree tom, knize ten is so raffish and cool, definitely for both sexes. i love new scents too although there is nothing like spraying on this olde world elegance and feeling a million old bucks. i read that the fragrance was pronounced kuhneezuh (austrian), cheers

10:49 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think this and Kiehl's Musk are two fragrances that are simply too cheap and too good not to buy.

2:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous Flora said...

I have no idea why I don't own this yet. I will soon!

4:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous Sedona Shops said...

Of course, we'd rather project that we have taste instead of just having money :)

2:07 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home