Luckyscent
Fragrance X
Indiescents
First in Fragrance
99Perfume
ExcelsisUSA
Parfum1
My Photo
Name:
Location: New York, NY
© Copyright 2005-2011 Perfume-Smellin' Things
All rights reserved
Custom Search

Thursday, August 02, 2012

Revisited: Serge Lutens Chêne

By Tom

I think Chêne was about the second Lutens scent I ever smelled, and the first one I jumped through hoops to get a bell jar of (I shipped it to a friends mums house in Switzerland, we carried it back from a Christmas visit). Now it's available at Barneys of course, which means it's less of a hoop and more of a hop..

Originally, I wrote of Chêne as being fairly linear, and it is. It starts out earthy on me with hints of rum and immortelle, then gets drier, smoky and woody. I know some loathe it, but it's really one of my favorites. Robin calls it a "sleeper" scent, forgive me for being punny, I call it a keeper scent.

Chene is available at Barneys, among others, $140 for a 50ML bottle. My samples came from a healthy spritz from one of their bottles and from my bell jar. They smell exactly the same.

Image: Internets

6 Comments:

Blogger Tama said...

I love Chene! I sleep in it quite a bit. Smoky and dark, great for wintertime.

2:17 AM EDT  
Blogger tmp00 said...

It is great for winter!

10:12 PM EDT  
Anonymous Gwenyth said...

I like Chene very much. In fact, I cannot think of a Serge Lutens fragrance that I don't like.....funny that, right?

Chene is indeed a "sleeper/keeper" scent because it is soft yet compelling. It is a scent that smells warm, rich, and lends a gauzy cloud of atmosphere around me. There is a sense of tranquility that envelopes me because of my affinity for woody scents. It is nice that my husband enjoys it, too.

I find the perfumes by Serge Lutens/Christopher Sheldrake to be masterpieces. Perhaps it is because in my early days as a perfumista when the world of fragrances was being opened to my eyes, the oeuvre of Chez Lutens was the first niche house I discovered.I was blown away by the beauty and evocative nature of this new-to-me world, and it has been a source of great satisfaction to me ever since.

11:07 AM EDT  
Anonymous Go here for More info said...

I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles.

1:32 PM EDT  
Blogger pitbull friend said...

Thanks for bringing it up,Tom! I just recently rediscovered it & am in love with it, too. (That and Santal Blanc, which to me evoke the same dark, complex coziness.)

11:32 AM EDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for your review on the Chene Perfume. I've never tried it before and now I'm compelled to go sample it.

Perfume Review

10:58 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home